You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 380788  

Print Page



© Miss Janet Gibson

IoE Number: 380788
Location: SHAKESPEARE INN, 78 VICTORIA STREET (north east side)
  BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Photographer: Miss Janet Gibson
Date Photographed: 19 May 2002
Date listed: 08 December 1972
Date of last amendment: 08 December 1972
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BRISTOLST5972VICTORIA STREET901-1/42/331(North East side)

BRISTOL ST5972 VICTORIA STREET 901-1/42/331 (North East side) 08/12/72 No.78 Shakespeare Inn GV II House, now public house. Early C17, dated 1636 on front, extensively restored 1950, re-roofed 1992. Timber box-frame with roughcast, 2 rubble lateral stacks each side, topped with brick, and a pantile roof. Double fronted gable end facing the street, formerly a right-hand stair between the stacks, and front and back rooms; left-hand stacks from previous house to that side. 3 storeys, cellar and attic; 2-bay range. A symmetrical front divided by pantiled pents to each floor, boxed eaves, wide central doorway with 2-leaf 1950 studded door, and square 3-storey bays. The bases of timber posts flank doorway to inside of bays, which have 2-leaf cellar doors with strap hinges; first- and second-floor 4/8-pane sashes, with 6/6/6 sliding sashes to attic beneath an original moulding. INTERIOR: largely 1950 behind the frontage, with a new stair; moulded first- and second-floor beams. Through-purlin roof with diagonal braces, nails and pegging. Timber barrel-run down into the cellar from the street. The original plan form is found in C17 merchants' houses after 1660s, for example in King Street. (Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural History: Bristol: 1979-: 87; Winstone R: Bristol As It Was: Bristol: 1879-: PL 75).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.