© Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
HORFIELD PARISH CHURCH, WELLINGTON HILL
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Mr Cyril N. Chapman LRPS
13 September 1999
04 March 1977
Date of last amendment:
04 March 1977
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST57NE WELLINGTON HILL, Horfield
901-1/53/1413 (North side)
04/03/77 Church of the Holy Trinity with St
Also known as: Horfield Parish Church WELLINGTON HILL
Church. C15 W tower, c1847 nave and aisles by W Butterfield,
chancel and crossing tower dated 1893 and transepts 1913 and
MATERIALS: squared, coursed Lias for the medieval work,
snecked Pennant rubble with limestone dressings and a slate
PLAN: cruciform plan with west tower and crossing tower, south
porch and north-west chapel. Perpendicular style, except
Decorated Gothic Revival-style nave.
EXTERIOR: chancel has angle buttresses and E window with
reticulated tracery; side chapel to the N with 2-light E
window, and c1920 flat roof annex with saddleback coped
parapet, and an octagonal ashlar stair turret.
N transept has a 7-light mullion ground-floor window with
leaded metal casements between buttresses, and a similar
3-light first-floor window. 3-bay N aisle has flat-headed
3-light windows flanking a similar 2-light one, and a
clerestory dormer to the E with reticulated tracery. Over the
crossing is a squat tower with 2 windows on each elevation,
stepped crenellations and a pyramidal roof. At the NW corner
is an early C20 single-storey chapel with angle buttresses, a
plain N door flanked by arrow slits with a crenellated parapet
and square pinnacles.
The S transept has a large 3-light window with chamfered
reveals and a hood with king and bishop stops, and an open
porch with a scroll-moulded reveal with an inner door with
leaded overlight. Open porch to the W end, with wide, clasping
buttresses and small side windows.
Small, 2-stage C15 west tower with diagonal buttresses and a
low, plain door, beneath a 2-light window with hollow
chamfered mouldings and a hood with scrolled stops; 1- and
2-light windows to the second stage, a S clock, and ashlar
crenellations with crocketed pinnacles.
INTERIOR: 1-bay chancel, a square-section round arch to the S,
with an open piscina set in the springer. Wide arches either
side of the choir on hexagonal responds and foliate caps. In
the N transept is a C20 painted organ loft. Pointed arches
with foliate capitals around the crossing and to the aisles.
3-bay nave with pointed arches on hexagonal shafts and moulded
capitals. Arch-braced queen-post roof on ovolo corbels. Glazed
C20 W screen with green glass; wooden winder stair up into W
FITTINGS: C16 octagonal stone font with tracery panels, and an
octagonal pulpit on a short shaft, with open Tudor arches and
Tudor roses, with iron-railed steps up. 5 bells, the 4 largest
MEMORIALS: include a number of wall tablets from 1763.
The church is set within an unusual circular graveyard.
(Horfield Parish Church, A Short History: 1980-).