© Ms Judy Goodsell
27 AND 29 WHITLADIES ROAD (east side)
BRISTOL, BRISTOL, BRISTOL
Ms Judy Goodsell
27 August 2001
30 December 1994
Date of last amendment:
30 December 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST5773NE WHITELADIES ROAD, Clifton
901-1/3/1116 (East side)
Nos.27 AND 29
Pair of attached houses, now offices. 1862. By William Coates.
Limestone ashlar with party wall stacks and a concrete tile
hipped roof. Double-depth plan. Italianate style.
Each of 3 storeys; 3-window range. A symmetrical front has
clasping giant pilasters, raised party wall, plat band and
frieze, forming recessed panels for the fenestration; banded
ground floor. Outer entrance blocks set back, with
single-storey porches with impost bands to semicircular-arched
doorways, with panels above and 6-panel doors. Arcades of 3
semicircular-arched ground- and first-floor windows have
impost bands and incised hoods, and paired second-floor
windows, above a band of incised circles, with vertical
incised panels to the first and second floors flanking the
windows with Greek key decoration. Plate-glass sashes.
INTERIOR: central lateral dogleg stairs with cast-iron
balusters, modillion cornices and 6-panel doors. Nos 21-33
(qv) are linked into a single office. A plain but handsome
pair forming a group with the Neoclassical and Italianate
villas of Whiteladies Road.