You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 38132  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 38132
Location: HENRY VII LODGE, WOBURN ROAD
  ASPLEY GUISE, MID BEDFORDSHIRE, BEDFORDSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 30 January 1985
Date of last amendment: 30 January 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SP 9235-9335ASPLEY GUISEWOBURN ROAD6/29Henry VII Lodge30.1.85-II

SP 9235-9335 ASPLEY GUISE WOBURN ROAD 6/29 Henry VII Lodge 30.1.85 - II Bedford Estate cottage. 1810-11 by Humphry and J. Adey Repton for 6th Duke of Bedford. Picturesque style, imitation C15 house. Variety of materials to walls. Clay tile roofs. Small building, consisting of 2-storeyed central block with gable to road, with single-storeyed wing to S(RH), and elongated gabled porch to N (LH). Main Block: ground floor is of coursed ironstone, with central 5-light window. First floor is jettied has close-studded timber framing with colourwashed plaster infill and central square oriel, also of 5 lights. Both windows have moulded timber mullions and cinquefoiled lights with diamond leading. Timber framing has ogival decorative bracing to panels. Pierced decorative bargeboards and moulded finial. To rear elevation first floor projects over open arcade on 4 timber piers with 4-centred arched bracing. Windows to this and side elevation similar to front ones. RH Block: close-studded timber framing with variety of ornamental brick infilling. At junction with main block is ironstone chimney stack surmounted by 3 ornate moulded circular chimney pots. LH porch: timber structure on ironstone plinth. 5 4-centred arched braces with drop finial, surmounted by decorative mouldings and framing. Pierced decorative barge boards and finial. Motifs derived from "some curious specimens of Timber houses' communicated to the Society of Antiquaries in 1810". (J M Robinson "Farming on a Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839", Architectural Review, November 1976 pp 280-281).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.