© Mr Reg Perry
BOW AND ARROW CASTLE, CHURCH OPE ROAD
PORTLAND, WEYMOUTH AND PORTLAND, DORSET
Mr Reg Perry
06 September 2001
16 January 1951
Date of last amendment:
17 May 1993
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SY6871 CHURCH OPE ROAD, Easton
969-1/4/32 (South side)
16/01/51 Rufus Castle with bridge
Formerly known as: Bow and Arrow Castle CHURCH OPE ROAD.
Castle. Present structure probably late C15, on site of
earlier building captured in 1142 by Earl Robert of
Gloucester. The approach bridge and present entry archway are
C19, and were already here in 1842. Squared and snecked
Portland stone, unroofed. An irregular pentagon with remains
of an outer bailey contained by remaining section of wall to
SW; connected by lofty C19 round-arched bridge to high land
across Church Ope Road, to the north. Remaining keep has C19
round-arched entry across this bridge; walls have many
regularly-spaced putlog holes. The 'Tudor' arched entry to the
SW was inserted by John Penn, of the adjacent Pennsylvania
Castle. There are a few remaining stones of the former
machicolation on the W and N walls, and the walls generally
run to full height, but some of the SE wall has fallen away.
The N and W walls also have series of round gun-ports, with
embrasures behind. RCHM notes chamfered stone jamb of SE
doorway. The outer bailey wall follows the land slope, and is
from c 1m to c 1.5m high, to rounded coping.
(Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Dorset: London:
1970-: 252-4; Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Newman J:
Dorset: London: 1972-1989: 342).