© Mr Geoffrey Carver
MILLEY HOSPITAL, BEACON STREET
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Geoffrey Carver
21 August 1999
05 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
17 June 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109NW BEACON STREET
1094-1/4/4 (South West side)
(Formerly Listed as:
Almshouse. 1504 with later alterations, late C18 rear addition
and extensive restoration of 1906 by C Lynham; addition of
1985-7. For Dr Thomas Milley.
Brick with ashlar dressings; tile roof with brick end stacks,
that to right large and to front of ridge.
EXTERIOR: Tudor style. 2 storeys with attic; symmetrical
5-window range. Entrance in 2-storey gabled porch has
elliptical brick arch and wide-boarded door; window above has
pilaster strips and pediment, and 2-light casement with iron
opening casement; apron panel with inscription recording the
foundation; 1906 flanking single-chamfered lights and end
3-light single-chamfered-mullioned windows; 2 gabled dormers;
all with leaded glazing.
Rear has gabled wing, the left return wall of which was moved
back in 1906, with end gabled wing and re-entrant stair wing;
similar windows and some 2-light casements; left return has
segmental-headed windows with terracotta sills and 4-pane
casements. C20 wing to rear.
INTERIOR: inner entrance has original door with strap hinges;
hall has stop-chamfered beams, close-studded partition walls
and doorways with slight ogee heads and plank doors; 1st floor
and corridors to wings have similar details, some 3-panel
doors and one with wooden latch; chapel to 1st floor centre
has simple details: plain benches and window with C17 or C18
latch; open well stick-baluster staircase.
HISTORY: the hospital was founded in 1424 and re-founded
1502-4 by Dr Milley for almswomen; it is built on the site of
the town ditch.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.192; Victoria History of the County of Stafford:
Oxford: 1970-: P.275-8).