© Mr Geoffrey Carver
DONEGAL HOUSE (TOURIST INFORMATION CENTRE) AND ATTACHED RAILINGS, BORE STREET (south east side)
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Geoffrey Carver
03 October 1999
05 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
05 February 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109SE BORE STREET
1094-1/8/61 (South East side)
05/02/52 Donegal House (Tourist Information
Centre) and attached railings
House, now council offices. 1730. Possibly by Francis Smith of
Warwick. For James Robinson.
Brick with stucco and ashlar dressings; parapeted roof with
Double-depth plan. Early Georgian style.
3 storeys with basement; symmetrical 5-window range. Plaster
plinth with ground floor sill band; end Doric pilasters with
triglyph entablature blocks; top cornice and stone-coped brick
parapet with plaster terminals and 5 sections which brake
forward over windows.
Entrance has aedicule with attached Doric columns, entablature
and segmental pediment, and 8-fielded-panel (2 glazed) door up
steps with plain iron handrails. basement has segmental-headed
windows with keys; other windows have shaped lintels with
keys, those to ground floor over 6/9-pane sashes, those to
upper floors with sills and aprons, 6/9-pane sashes to 1st
floor, segmental-headed windows with 12-pane sashes to 2nd
floor; central 1st floor window has eared and shouldered
architrave with triglyph 'key', frieze and pediment, window
above has similar architrave with shaped top and key. Iron
area railings to left have decorative heads; 1928 clock on
enriched brackets to left.
Rear has cogged brick frieze with datestone just below; varied
fenestration, ground floor has pegged cross casement, some
6/9-pane sashes and round-headed stair window with small-paned
INTERIOR: inaccessible due to refurbishment (1990), but has
open-well staircase with slender turned balusters; panelled
rooms and window shutters.
The house was used by the Marquess and Earl of Donegal, who
lived at Fisherwick Hall from 1761 until his death in 1799. In
1910 the house was bought to serve as an extension to the
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.43, 83, 242-3; Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.194).