You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 382611  

Print Page



© Mr Geoffrey Carver

IoE Number: 382611
Location: THE GUILDHALL, BORE STREET (south east side)
  LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Geoffrey Carver
Date Photographed: 03 October 1999
Date listed: 06 March 1970
Date of last amendment: 06 March 1970
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LICHFIELDSK1109SEBORE STREET1094-1/8/62(South East side)

LICHFIELD SK1109SE BORE STREET 1094-1/8/62 (South East side) 06/03/70 The Guildhall GV II Guildhall. Parts probably C16 or C17 but extensively rebuilt c1707 and extended to rear 1742; early C19 alterations; hall rebuilt 1846-8, by Joseph Potter Jnr of Lichfield. Brick with ashlar facade; brick rear wing; tile roofs. Right-angle plan with earlier rear wing. EXTERIOR: Hall in Gothic style: 2 storeys. Offset plinth, cornice over ground floor; 1st floor offset buttresses and sill course, coped gable. 2 pointed-arch entrances, that to left has triple-chamfered continuous moulding and hood to heavy door with strap hinges; that to right has hood and paired half-glazed doors with studs and strap hinges. 1st floor window has 5-light plate tracery with hood and relief flower motifs, plain blind roundel above. Stair wing to left has offset ground floor and coped parapet; 1st floor has 2-light single-chamfered plate tracery window. Plaque below window commemorates Coronation of Edward VII and Alexandra and is flanked by their busts. Returns have 2-light 1st floor windows with ashlar plate tracery. Rear wing of various dates, part to rear with rubble base and early brickwork over, incorporating blocked C16 window of 3 triangular-headed lights with brick mullions; C18 and C19 brickwork above; varied fenestration; left return has 3 sashed windows to 1st floor. INTERIOR: Passage with iron grille with gate and cells to left; hall has hammerbeam roof and panelling; arch to south has glazed infill over trefoil-headed arcading and benches used by quarter sessions; fireplace has segmental-pointed arch and C16 cast-iron fireback with Royal arms; 1811 stained glass to north window taken from north transept of Cathedral in 1891, figures of founders and patrons of the Cathedral and 1891 figure of Queen Victoria. Rear staircase has simple turned balusters, square newels and moulded handrail. c1710 cells to rear range have barrel vaults, segmental-headed entrances with original doors and shuttered and barred windows, benches and latrines; outer entrance and mullioned window now in later infill wing. HISTORY: The hall was used by the Guild of St Mary and St John the Baptist until its dissolution, and by the Corporation from 1548.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.