© Dr Anthea Hatfield
ST MARY'S CHAMBERS, 5 BREADMARKET STREET (south west side)
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Dr Anthea Hatfield
04 August 2001
05 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
05 February 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109NE BREADMARKET STREET
1094-1/5/63 (South West side)
St Mary's Chambers
Formerly known as: No.5 Priests' Hall BREADMARKET STREET.
House, at one time the residence of guild priests, now
offices. c1600 or earlier, with alterations c1760. Brick with
timber-framed rear wing; tile roof with brick end stack.
3 storeys with basement; 2-window range. Top modillioned
cornice. Central elliptical-headed entrance has architrave and
radial-bar fanlight over half-glazed door; iron handrails to
steps; entrance to left end has C19 stop-chamfered lintel over
Ground floor has late C19 canted oriel to left with top
entablature and small-paned upper lights; shuttered basement
access below; bowed oriel to right has moulded pilaster
strips, fluted frieze to entablature and small-paned glazing
with opening pane; paired bowed glazed doors to basement
below. 1st floor has Venetian windows with tripartite sashes
with glazing bars in simple architraves; 2nd floor has windows
with 6-pane sashes in simple architraves, inserted window to
left end is similar. Rear has gabled timber-framed wing with
square framing and longer brick wing.
INTERIOR: exposed timber-framing and chamfered beams; open
well staircase with simply turned balusters, square newels
with ball finials and moulded handrails, said to be
cherrywood; basement has flat joists and early brickwork.
The home of the priests of the Guild of St Mary and St John
until its dissolution. The birthplace of Elias Ashmole,
1617-1692, founder of the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
(Wilkinson R: Look at Lichfield: Lichfield: 1976-).