You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 382616  

Print Page



© Mr John Lewis

IoE Number: 382616
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, CHRISTCHURCH LANE (north side)
  LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr John Lewis
Date Photographed: 30 August 2007
Date listed: 06 March 1970
Date of last amendment: 06 March 1970
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LICHFIELDSK10NWCHRISTCHURCH LANE, Leomansley1094-1/3/241(North side)

LICHFIELD SK10NW CHRISTCHURCH LANE, Leomansley 1094-1/3/241 (North side) 06/03/70 Christ Church II* Leomansley spelt Leamonsley on OS map. Church. 1884-7. By Thomas Johnson. Transepts added 1886-7 by M Holding. For Mrs Ellen Hinckley. Rock-faced stone with ashlar dressings; fishscale tile roof. Cruciform plan. Decorated style. 2-bay chancel with transepts; 3-bay nave with west tower. Plinth, sill courses, plain coped parapets and coped gables; gabled diagonal buttresses and window hoods with head stops. Chancel has corbelled parapet; 3-light window with Flowing tracery; similar 2-light north and south windows and adjacent transept east windows; transept north and south windows of 3 lights with reticulated tracery, west projections have 2-light north and south windows with geometrical tracery, entrances to west. North transept has pointed tomb recess with 3 cusped panels over chest, to Samuel Seckham, creator of Park Town, Oxford, and members of his family. Nave has gabled buttresses and 2-light windows with geometrical tracery; tower has west entrance with moulded arch and paired doors, 3-light window with Flowing tracery; upper lancet with clock face and 2-light louvred bell openings with sill course; top traceried frieze and embattled parapet with pinnacles. INTERIOR: nave and chancel have pointed tunnel vaults, chancel arch on responds and arches to transepts dying into jambs, as do arches to transepts from nave; west end has gallery to tower arch with 1887 ex-situ wrought-iron chancel screen. Fittings: chancel has 1906 reredos by GF Bodley, lower stencilled calvary cross, upper crucifixion and figures under nodding ogee heads, vine trail cornice and rich brattishing; octagonal timber pulpit with tracery panels; north transept has timber altar, south transept has 1877 reredos to former altar, applied arches with marble cross and shafts; nave has encaustic tiles, octagonal font with squat stem and tracery panels. Painting: chancel roof painted 1897 by JD Batten, Old Testament figures and symbols of Passion and Eucharist. Memorial: war memorial to nave. Stained glass: 1920 east window by Kempe and Tower; 1870s and 80s north and south chancel windows and transept east windows by Hardman and Co, also nave south windows; north transept 1894 north west window by CE Kempe, 1901 north east window by HW Bryans, and 1889 nave window to General Phillips, by Hardman and Co. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London: 1974-: P.190; Shell Guides: Thorold H: Staffordshire, A Shell Guide: London: 1978-: P.124-5; Clayton H: Cathedral City: Lichfield: 1977-: P.7-8; Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W: Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.151-2).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.