© Mr Geoffrey Carver
MASTER'S HOUSE TO REAR OF HOSPITAL OF ST JOHN WITHOUT THE BARRS, ST JOHN STREET (south west side)
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Geoffrey Carver
26 September 1999
05 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
17 June 1994
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109SE ST JOHN STREET
1094-1/8/168 (South West side)
05/02/52 Master's House to rear of Hospital
of St John without the Barrs
(Formerly Listed as:
ST JOHN STREET
(South West side)
St John's Hospital including Chapel)
House of the master of the Hospital of St John attached to the
west end of the chapel. c1495 with some foundations probably
c1135, extensively altered in late C16 or early C17 and again
in late C18; stucco removed c1980.
Brick with ashlar dressings; slate roof with brick end stacks.
Double-depth plan. Georgian style.
East front facing road of 3 storeys, 2-window range with
outshut under catslide roof to left attached to chapel. Quoins
indicate original form with recessed centre; some remaining
dressings to original windows. Entrance has moulded pilaster
strips, frieze and cornice to 6-flush-panel door, similar
entrance to return of outshut. Windows mostly
segmental-headed, that to ground floor with 18-pane sash, 2
similar windows to 1st floor and 2-light casements, one with
partly leaded glazing, to 2nd floor, similar windows to return
Rear 3-window range has cogged frieze over ground floor,
ashlar cornice over 1st floor and simple brick top cornice.
Windows have sills, and brick flat arches, over 8/12-pane
sashes to ground floor, 16-pane sashes to 1st floor, 9-pane
sashes to 2nd floor. Some diapering visible to left of 1st
floor, and dressings and straight joints indicating former
windows. Left return, entrance front, has 2 projecting stacks,
round-headed entrance has doorcase with panelled pilaster
strips and cornice, fanlight with radial glazing bars and
3-fielded-panel door; varied fenestration including 18-pane
horned sashes. Right return has similar blocked windows and
entrance with doorcase.
INTERIOR: cellars have medieval masonry, some recesses with
4-centred heads and stop-chamfered joists; open well staircase
has close string with entablature with pulvinated frieze,
column-on-vase balusters, square newels and moulded handrail;
entrance hall has C17 panelling; room to rear left has c1720
bolection-moulded panelling with dado rail and cornice,
fireplace and elliptical recess with fixed sideboard; 1st
floor has rooms with large beams and joists, 2 richly moulded
beams; 2-fielded-panel doors.
The house is built on the foundations of the original hall of
the hospital, which was an extension of the chapel; the
building was represented in the early C18 as having gables
flanking a central recess.
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Oxford: 1970-:
P.279-89; Clayton H: St John's Hospital Lichfield: Lichfield:
1984-; Buck S and N: The South West Prospect of the City of