© Mr Denis True
NUMBER 24 AND ATTACHED WALL AND GATE PIER, THE CLOSE (south side)
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Denis True
28 April 2002
05 February 1952
Date of last amendment:
05 February 1952
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109NW THE CLOSE
1094-1/4/210 (South side)
and attached wall and gate pier
House, part now flat. c1461, extensively remodelled in late
C17, C18 and c1814. Brick with some dressed stone to basement
and front left angle; tile roof of complex form with brick
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys with basement and attic; 3-window range;
gabled left end and recessed gabled right end. Enriched
bargeboards and similar fascia. Central entrance has porch
with cornice and parapet, and elliptical arch-within-arch,
half-glazed door. Ground-floor left window has stucco surround
and label mould to 3 ogee-headed lights with 12-pane sashes;
other windows have plain surrounds to 12-pane sashes; gable to
left has blocked window with 4-centred head.
Left return has masonry ground floor with stone lintel and
brick flat arch to blocked fireplace, probably to missing
kitchen section; cogged cornice to projecting gabled 1st-floor
section with end stack. Right return has basement windows with
cross-casement and 4-light transomed casement; ground floor
has entrance and window with rubbed brick flat arch and 2
segmental-headed windows, one in blocked larger opening, with
12-pane sashes; 1st floor has segmental-headed windows, 2 with
12-pane sashes and 2 with paired sashes, and one
cross-casement; gabled dormer.
Rear has gable with large stack to left of rebuilt section;
left end has summerhouse with loggia above; 2 basement windows
with 3-light pegged casements; upper windows have rubbed brick
flat arches and 12-pane sashes; gabled dormers.
INTERIOR: winding stick-baluster staircase; basement has much
early structure, brick and some stone; brick vaulting, some
cellars with chamfered beams; front right cellar has blocked
brick stair on half arch; rear cellar with C19 range and bread
oven. Flat has ashlar fireplace with Tudor arch in architrave;
early C18 six-fielded-panel door; limited access to roof
space, which is recorded as having 2 original roofs and
blocked 2-light window; small light to valley has casement
with fleur-de-lis catch.
Attached short wall to front right has garden gate and pier to
rear entrance to Newton's College (qv). Wall attached to rear
right extends to rear wall of Garden of Remembrance (qv), C18
brick on stone base.
Although much altered, this is one of the original houses of
(Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W:
Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.66-7; Drury P: The Capitular
Estate of Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral: 1987-).