You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 382796  

Print Page



© Mr Denis True

IoE Number: 382796
Location: THE DEANERY AND ATTACHED GATE, THE CLOSE (north side)
  LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Denis True
Date Photographed: 23 April 2002
Date listed: 05 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 17 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LICHFIELD SK1109NE THE CLOSE 1094-1/5/228 (North side) 05/02/52 The Deanery and attached gate (Formerly Listed as: THE CLOSE The Deanery (St Chad's School)) GV II* Deanery. c1707 with substantial alterations of 1807-8, and alterations of 1876, 1893 and 1974. Brick with ashlar dressings; hipped tile roof with 2 brick stacks. Double-depth plan. Queen Anne style. 2 storeys; symmetrical 7-window range, 3-window centre breaking forward under pediment. Moulded ashlar coping to plinth, platt band with roll mould over ground floor and top modillioned timber cornice. Windows have sills, and rubbed brick flat arches over (probably early C19) 12-pane sashes. Right return has platt band and cornice. Entrance to right end has doorcase with fluted Tuscan pilasters, entablature and segmental pediment, bolection-moulded architrave to half-glazed door (said to be moved from front, but this is disputed by Drury); iron lantern; blocked entrance to left end and blocked windows, one to each floor has 12-pane sash. Left return has cornice and rebuilt left end and segmental-headed casement and sashed window to ground floor, 2 cross-casements to 1st floor and 2 flat-roofed dormers to attic. Rear has 1974 rebuilt wall and single-storey addition to right , C19 single-storey wing, part converted to garage, to left of tall stair window with small-paned glazing, part a top-hung casement; 16-pane 1st floor sashes and 3 flat-roofed dormers to attic. C18 gate attached to C19 wing has rebuilt brick piers with pointed oval finials and rich wrought iron gate with piers and overthrow. INTERIOR has early C19 detail, including fireplace, cornices, doorways, and round arches connecting 2 front rooms; entrance hall has plain chamfered panelling, possibly early C18, in 5 1/2 tiers; stair hall has elliptical arch to right; open-well stair, altered in early C19 and 1974, has cut string and soft wood treads, twisted-column-on-vase balusters, turned newels and moulded and ramped handrail; 1st floor has room to right with bolection-moulded fireplace, frieze and cornice; room to centre has break in ceiling level and cornice, and re-used C17 cupboard door; room to left has C19 fireplace with cast-iron Regency grate. Although much altered, the house retains an impressive facade and some interior features of interest. (Victoria History of the County of Stafford: Greenslade M W: Lichfield: Oxford: 1990-: P.62; Drury P: The Capitular Estate of Dean and Chapter of Lichfield Cathedral: 1987-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.