© Mr Geoffrey Carver
CLOCK TOWER, THE FRIARY (south side)
LICHFIELD, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Mr Geoffrey Carver
15 August 1999
06 March 1970
Date of last amendment:
06 March 1970
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SK1109SW THE FRIARY
1094-1/7/231 (South side)
06/03/70 Clock Tower
Clock tower. 1863, moved to present site 1928. By Joseph
Potter Jnr. Ashlar with swept slate roof.
4-stage tower with pyramidal roof. Norman style.
Lowest stage has cornice with zig-zag and weathering over;
east face has round-headed entrance of one order with zig-zag
to arch and enriched tympanum, door with enriched strap
hinges; plaque above records history of the Crucifix conduit,
1201-1863; to south a bronze plaque recording gift of the
Friary estate to the City Council; to west a plaque recording
the removal of the tower from its orginal site; to north a
quatrefoil panel recording foundation of the conduit with
flanking round-headed niches formerly with drinking fountains,
that to left with scalloped bowl, that to right shallower,
bowl gone, 2 round-headed lights above with grilles.
2nd stage has cornice with weathering over; to 3 faces a
3-light blind window with colonnettes, enriched arches and
glazed slits; similar shorter 5-light window above with
zig-zag sill band and 2 slits; to west face 3 single-chamfered
3rd stage has round clock face to each face. Top stage has
nook shafts and corbel table, bell-opening of 4 lights with
lourvres to each face. Roof with finial.
The clock tower was built at the corner of The Friary and Bird
Street on the site of the Crucifix Conduit, which was built
for the city c1201 by the Guild of SS Mary and John the
Baptist, whose assets were transferred in 1545 to the Conduits
Lands Trust, who built the tower over the redundant conduit.
The tower was dismantled and rebuilt on its present site when
The Friary was made.
The clock tower is a notable landmark in the city.
(Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Staffordshire: London:
1974-: P.192; Laithwaite P: The History of the Conduit Lands
Trust 1546-1946: Lichfield: 1947-: P.19, 51; Clayton H:
Cathedral City: Lichfield: 1977-: P.105-7).