You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 383943  

Print Page



© Mr Chris Ayre

IoE Number: 383943
Location: THE MILL, CASTLE HILL (west side)
  STAFFORD, STAFFORD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Chris Ayre
Date Photographed: 10 September 1999
Date listed: 16 January 1951
Date of last amendment: 16 January 1951
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

STAFFORDSJ9123CASTLE HILL590-1/5/6(West side)

STAFFORD SJ9123 CASTLE HILL 590-1/5/6 (West side) 16/01/51 The Mill II Tower windmill. 1796 using materials from demolished late C16 Shire Hall. Dressed stone. Conical tower, covered in scaffolding at time of inspection. Blocked entrance recorded as having Royal arms from Shire Hall above (not found); iron roundel above has lettering: 1796/ MI. Windows, some blocked, have wedge lintels with keys. Cap missing. INTERIOR retains heavily moulded floor beams of substantial scantling to each floor, possibly incorporated from demolition of Elizabethan Shire Hall in 1793. Some heavy timbers and trusses to conical roof remain. The mill was steam powered by 1847 and ceased working in early 1880s and was derelict by the late 1930s. Although derelict, the mill is an important landmark in Stafford The site is believed to be that of the Norman Royal castle of c1070, and the mill is sometimes claimed as standing on the foundations of the castle keep. (Victoria County History of Staffordshire: Greenslade MW: A History of Stafford, taken from VCH: London: 1979-: 200, 212-3).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.