© Mr Alan Francis Polaine
HAMPTON COURT, 1,3,5 NELSON STREET (west side)
KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Mr Alan Francis Polaine
12 June 2006
01 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
01 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TF6119NE NELSON STREET
610-1/9/138 (West side)
01/12/51 Nos.1, 3 AND 5
Merchant's house, named after the C17 baker John Hampton,
arranged round a courtyard in 4 distinct ranges. Early C14
with various additions and alterations since. Restored
1958-60, converted to 15 flats 1962.
Stone, timber-framed and brick with plain tiled roofs.
Courtyard elevations rendered and colourwashed.
South range is early C14 and contained the hall. Stone. North
elevation of 2 storeys with C20 dormer attic Irregular
disposition of two C20 doorways and 2 and 3-light cross
casements and sashes, either renewed or restored C17 details.
Gabled roof with 11 gabled dormers arranged in pairs.
To right of elevation is a pair of arched stone doorways, that
to the east only identifiable by remains of left jamb; the
other intact. At left of elevation a third doorway also has
only remains of east jamb. This doorway led into, probably, a
screens passage with compact service rooms to left, entered
via three arched stone openings.
To right was the open hall (of the timber screen itself there
is no trace) with a C16 inserted central hearth, the rebuilt
stack of which emerges just off the ridge line above.
To west of the hall, occupying half of elevation, were two
ground-floor service rooms with a single large chamber above.
The 2 west arched doorways served these rooms. A C16 hearth
was inserted against the east wall of the western lower room
and its rebuilt ridge stack emerges above the surviving C14
stone doorway. Internal partitions are of stone, but now
confused by later and C20 additions. At west end of hall a
blocked arched doorway led into the first of the west rooms,
which was probably a parlour.
Hall roof consists now of tie beams and common rafters,
extensively renewed, but has been reconstructed as a
crown-post type with a tie beam supported by arched braces
dropping to corbels via wall posts. In addition a pair of
passing braces rose from the wall to terminate at the head of
the crown-post and at the ridge respectively, the latter
crossing at the apex in scissor-braced fashion. 5 parallel
bracing struts connected the rafters to the tie beam and a
sixth from the head of the crown-post to the rafter. Where
these intersected with the passing braces a grid effect was
thus created, a form found elsewhere in King's Lynn.
In a C20 first-floor partition wall of the present No.3
Hampton Court a section of this grid remains, now without
structural purpose. The east gable wall of this range now
abuts the street range, and emerges above it, but no evidence
was revealed during the 1958 investigations to show any
communication with an existing street range. The west gable,
which also shows above the warehouse block at this end, was
not in a state to allow speculation upon a similar question.
Chronologically this warehouse range is next. Mid C15. Brick.
Built parallel to and on the then bank of the river, at right
angles to the hall range. Original disposition of windows and
internal planning destroyed during multiple C19 tenement
Courtyard (east) elevation of 2 storeys divided by a thin
string course. Central doorway with split overlight, 4 renewed
sashes with glazing bars to right, 3 to left with a second
doorway. 6 sashes with glazing bars above, irregularly placed,
the central one round-headed. Gabled roof. Details mostly mid
West elevation dominated by arcade of seven 4-centred double
chamfered arches, now blocked and pierced by doors and windows
of various C19 and C20 types. Arches carried on round piers
with moulded capitals. Northern pair of arches obscured by
later warehouse on south side of St Margaret's Lane, but
First floor north window is a 4-light cross casement of C16
origins, otherwise 4 mid C20 sashes with glazing bars, that to
south in a taller 2-storey and attic gable end with a doorway
to the ground.
The east range to Nelson Street followed c1480, probably as
shops. Brick ground floor, timber-framed first floor over deep
jetty. No.5, to south, has boarded jetty and is rendered and
colourwashed, remainder has ochre wash. No.5 with a panelled
door to left under 5-vaned fanlight, one early C19 sash to
left and one above with glazing bars.
To left of entrance passage are 2 sashes squeezed into a
2-light roll-moulded timber mullioned window, the mullion and
jambs on moulded bases. This window originally served a shop
and is the only survivor in any Ouse-bank site. To right are 2
further sashes with glazing bars separated by another
subsidiary inserted doorway.
Entrance passage into courtyard has a square roll-moulded
timber surround carrying a segmental arch in the spandrels of
which are the carved arms of the Amfles family, Richard Amfles
taking possession from William Amfles in 1482. First floor
with brick nogging, the jetty supported on knuckle braces at
intervals. 2 sashes with glazing bars to right and 3 mullioned
casements to left, of 5, 2 and 3 lights.
Gabled roof with 3 hipped dormers with casements. The
cruciform ridge stack left of centre was rectangular before
restoration. North gable has a kneeler on brick corbel and
some tumbling in the gable-head. 3 renewed windows to this
gable. Entrance passage has hollow-chamfer and roll-moulded
joists with tongue stops on heavy bridging beams, that to the
courtyard multiple roll-moulded. Courtyard elevation with 2
ground floor doors into front houses and 2 or 3-light renewed
cross casements. North range to St Margaret's Lane c1600.
Of previous buildings, if any, nothing is known. Brick. 2
storeys with dormer attic 3 doorways under sloping hoods date
from restoration. Fenestration predominantly of 3-light cross
casements with leaded glazing, restored, partly renewed but
substantially C17. Those towards west end have
hollow-chamfered mullions. Gabled roof with one gabled dormer
North elevation to street is long and undisciplined. 3 garage
doors to ground floor. Large partly external stack of early
C17 has a set-off above eaves line. To left of it at first
floor is one contemporary 3-light cross casement, to the right
a similar 2-light window. Remainder of fenestration rather
mixed; mostly sashes. 2 gabled dormers.
(King's Lynn Archaeological Survey: Parker V: The Making of
King's Lynn: London: 1971-; The Buildings of England: Pevsner
N: North-west and South Norfolk: Harmondsworth: 1962-: 256;
Norfolk Archaeological Unit Index: 12009).