© Graham Brown LRPS
CHAPEL OF ST NICHOLAS, ST ANN'S STREET (east side)
KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Graham Brown LRPS
03 May 2002
01 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
01 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TF6120SE ST ANN'S STREET
610-1/7/214 (East side)
01/12/51 Chapel of St Nicholas
Chapel of Ease to St Margaret's church, founded 1146 by Bishop
Turbus. Rebuilt c1200, south-west tower c1220, all rebuilt
(except tower) 1371-1419. Steeple 1500 (donation). Steeple
collapsed 1741, rebuilt 1869 by Gilbert Scott.
Ashlar tower and clerestory, aisles brick, rendered and scored
to imitate ashlar and with ashlar dressings. Lead roofs. Nave,
continuous chancel and continuous aisles, plus tower.
2-stage tower with 2-light plate tracery windows to south and
west. 2-light plate tracery belfry windows. Octagonal broached
and leaded spire. Huge 11-light Perpendicular west window with
a west doorway stepped up into it. Flanking stepped buttresses
with statuary niches. North aisle window of 5 lights, with
unusual Perpendicular tracery. 12-bay north aisle, 10-bay
south aisle, each bay separated by a stepped buttress: 3-light
Perpendicular windows under segmental arches. 2 late C14
doorways in north side, one to south side. 9-light chancel
Clerestories of 12 bays, that to south reduced to 11 on
account of south-west tower: 3-light Perpendicular windows
again. 2-storey south porch. Multiple rolled arched entrance
below a screen of Perpendicular niches in 2 tiers. 3-light
side windows to ground floor, 2-light above. Stair turret in
north-west corner. Gabled roof.
INTERIOR. North face of tower with 2 lancets, east face with 3
lancets above low doorway. 11-bay arcade with moulded arches
on lozenge piers. 11-bay roof of alternating hammer beam and
tie beam trusses. The hammers have carved angels, the ties
have queen posts and arched braces dropping to wall posts on
stone corbels. Each wall post has an ogeed canopied niche
right and left. One moulded butt purlin and ridge piece. Font
is 1902 copy of that given by Bishop Harsnett in 1627:
strapwork. C14 polygonal holy water stoup at west end of north
aisle: encircled quatrefoils to bowl and one small figure.
Next to tower is ledger slab in memory of Robinson Cruso, died
1773. Wall monument in south aisle (east end) to Thomas
Greene, 1675. Large kneeling figures of Sir Thomas and wife
flanked by 2 Corinthian columns supporting a segmental
pediment; predella with 5 daughters and 4 sons; apron bears
In east wall of south aisle wall monument to Richard Clarke,
1602. Alabaster. Architectural surround contains an altar on
which kneel Richard and wife, figures of offspring peeping out
behind them. Under altar is recumbent figure of Richard's
first wife. Inscription in predella. In east wall of north
aisle wall monument to Thomas Snelling, 1623. Architectural
surround with kneeling figures of Thomas and wife. In predella
are figures of 2 sons, one daughter and a swaddled infant.
Inscription in apron. Immediately in front is marble monument
to Sir Benjamin Keene, 1757 by Robert Adam. Square plinth
decorated with festoons and inscription. On plinth is a round
bowl and cover with 4 pilaster divisions. Alternate panels
have high relief images and serpentine inverted gadrooning.
Images are of a profile head (east side) and a shipping scene
with figure of Britannia (Keene was ambassador to Spain) on
west side. Late C15 brass eagle lectern.