© Graham Brown LRPS
GUILDHALL, SATURDAY MARKET PLACE (north side)
KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Graham Brown LRPS
15 October 2000
01 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
01 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TF6119NE SATURDAY MARKET PLACE
610-1/9/199 (North side)
Guildhall (of the Holy and Undivided Trinity), now part of
civic accommodation. 1422-28; porch and interior alterations
Brick with ashlar and flint dressings. Plain tiled roofs.
Narrow site, set gable-end to street. Two elements. To right
(east) is the gabled guildhall proper, with the Stone Hall
forming the upper 2 floors and lit through a 7-light
Perpendicular arched window with panel tracery. Moulded jambs.
Stone string course divides this from ground floor.
Ground floor is a brick undercroft used, when built, to store
the guilds goods. Originally entered through 2 timber
doorways, these removed and replaced with two 2-light,
round-arched Y-tracery windows. One small 2-light window
flanks right and left. Polygonal corner turrets close
elevation and rise to gabled roof. Whole of facade decorated
with knapped flint squares alternating with stone squares to
produce chequered flushwork.
Original entrance to Stone Hall was via a dog-leg staircase
against west wall. In 1624 present porch built to protect new
staircase; this forms left (west) element in overall design.
Of same materials and with same chequered flushwork.
3 storeys and gabled roof. Diminishing polygonal corner shafts
and string courses at each floor. Central round-headed doorway
with pair of engaged Doric columns. Guttae under flat hood.
Small subsidiary doors either side under lunettes. First floor
lit through 6-light transomed casement. Top floor with a large
re-used coat of arms relating to reign of Elizabeth, and
inscribed Edward Hargae, Mayor, 1624. This flanked by a small
light each side and another in each of returns. When noticed
that coat of arms to Elizabeth was re-used, a new achievement
relating to Charles II was erected on parapet at Restoration
and inscribed William Wharton, Mayor, 1664.
INTERIOR. Porch doorway leads to timber staircase. Fluted
Ionic timber columns on high bases right and left. Balustrade
with fat turned balusters and moulded handrail. Dog-legs to
right to approach entrance to Stone Hall: moulded stone jambs
and arch, with double plank and muntin doors. Stone Hall in 4
bays (originally 6). Chamfered wall arches. Wainscoting from
1895. Roof of crenellated tie beams supported on arched braces
with pierced tracery spandrels. Roof above is scissor-braced,
but boarded. Scheduled Ancient Monument.