© Graham Brown LRPS
CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF THE MOUNT, THE WALKS
KINGS LYNN, KINGS LYNN AND WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK
Graham Brown LRPS
24 September 2000
01 December 1951
Date of last amendment:
01 December 1951
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TF6219NW THE WALKS
610-1/10/254 Red Mount Chapel
Formerly known as: Chapel of Our Lady of the Mount THE WALKS.
Wayside Chapel on Walsingham pilgrimage route. 1483-85 by
Robert Curraunt, the chapel 1505-06, attributed to Simon Clerk
and John Wastell.
Brick with ashlar dressings and ashlar core. Octagonal,
constructed in the form of 2 concentric drums, the outer of
brick. Roof not visible. Basement and 2 storeys to outer drum,
a third to inner drum. Random bond brick. 2 set-offs. Corners
supported by stepped buttresses with ashlar dressings with an
arched opening punched through each. Main entrance to west via
timber studded door set under a depressed arch. One trefoil
niche right and left.
At intervals round the chapel are quatrefoil lights and
2-light mullioned windows, but the top floor of the outer drum
is lit through a 4-light stone mullioned window with depressed
heads beneath a straight hood mould, one such to each facet.
Subsidiary door to north-east facet at ground floor, with, in
the next facet clockwise, a 4-light stone mullioned window
with hollow, roll and fillet mouldings. Inner drum emerges
over roof-line as a stone cruciform illuminated through one
encircled quatrefoil oculus to each of the 4 main facets.
INTERIOR. Arrangement is of a barrel-vaulted cellar below the
twin drums, which are both octagonal below the ashlar chapel.
Between the skins are 2 brick staircases with a roll-moulded
handrail cut into inner wall. One starts at each external
doorway and run counter-wise to each other, arriving at the
antechamber to the chapel from opposing directions. Facing
main door is a 6-light stone mullioned window with hollow and
ovolo mouldings looking down into basement. 2 diamond pane
leaded casements remain.
Central core is largely brick with ashlar dressings but gives
way to ashlar with brick dressings in upper storeys, emerging
as all ashlar at chapel. Ample evidence of breaks in the work
at top floor of outer drum, and of a change in design. At
intervals are good examples of C17 and early C18 grafitti. As
staircases emerge at the chapel an ambulatory is formed, C20
timber steps leading into the cruciform sanctuary itself,
which is attributed to Clerk and Wastell.
Elaborate fan-vaulted roof with recurring motifs of encircled
quatrefoils, the 4 limbs having panel tracery. Scheduled