You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 385276  

Print Page



© Mr G M Smith ARPS

IoE Number: 385276
Location: WINDMILL, EAST BEACH (south side)
  LYTHAM ST ANNES, FYLDE, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr G M Smith ARPS
Date Photographed: 28 August 1999
Date listed: 06 June 1951
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1951
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

LYTHAM ST ANNESSD3627EAST BEACH, Lytham621-1/4/58(South side)

LYTHAM ST ANNES SD3627 EAST BEACH, Lytham 621-1/4/58 (South side) 06/06/51 Windmill GV II Windmill. c.1805; in use until damaged by fire in 1918; restored 1987. Tower mill. Brick, rendered and painted white, with plinth of rendered cobble walling, wooden cap and sails. Conical 4-stage tower, the 1st stage enclosed by a wide plinth (which is a former protective wall subsequently roofed over and used for loading); doorway in south side of 2nd stage, with access from rectangular deck on plinth, approached by steps up that side; one segmental-headed window above this doorway and 3 similar windows vertically aligned on the south-west and north-east sides; S-shaped tie-plates. Boat-shaped clinker-built wooden cap (now fixed) with fantail; restored wooden sails facing south-west. Very promiment and well-known local landmark dominating the grassed sea-front area known as Lytham Green, and one of the few windmills surviving in the Fylde of Lancashire. Forms group with the Old Lifeboat House immediately to the south (q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.