You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 387908  

Print Page



© Mr John Riley

IoE Number: 387908
Location: CLAYTON HALL, ASHTON NEW ROAD (north side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr John Riley
Date Photographed: 30 December 2004
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ89NE ASHTON NEW ROAD, Beswick And Clayton 698-1/5/526 (North side) 25/02/52 Clayton Hall (Formerly Listed as: ASHTON NEW ROAD, Clayton Ashton Hall) GV II* Remains of manor house, now two dwellings. Probably C15, altered in C16 and C17, partly rebuilt or enlarged in C18 and restored c.1900 and in C20. Red brick, some timber framing, stone slate roofs. Linear plan in 2 parts on north-south axis, the C15 or C16 southern half of 2 bays and single-depth plus a front corridor, and the later portion to the left double-depth and double-fronted. Two storeys, 3+3 windows. The earlier portion is of square-panelled timber-framing at 1st floor, probably formerly jettied but the ground floor rebuilt or enclosed in brick, and has a short gabled stair-turret offset right of centre with a bellcote on the ridge; the ground floor has a simple doorway to the left of the wing and a 2-light casement left of this; the upper floor has 3 wooden mullioned windows with diamond-pattern leaded glazing, 5 lights in the gable of the wing, 4 lights to the left, and 3 lights to the right, and a jettied gable with kingpost and raked struts. The right-hand gable wall has a very large external chimney stack of squared sandstone blocks, finished or rebuilt in brick at the top. The later portion to the left, of hand-made brick in English garden wall bond with stone quoins, has a segmental-headed doorway offset slightly left of centre with quoined stone surround, C19 diamond-paned casement windows of 3 and 3 lights to the left, 4 and 4 lights to the right, and 4, 2 and 5 lights at 1st floor, all with raised sills and rectangular stone lintels except that in the centre at 1st floor which has a brick label; rainwater heads dated 1900; and 2 ridge chimneys. Rear: southern portion has small-panelled timber-framing through both floors, and almost continuous wooden mullioned windows on both floors (probably insertions and recently restored). Interior: southern portion has small-framed partition walls of unusually high quality, with timbers of large scantling: an unusual longitudinal partition making a front corridor, and the lateral partition, with doorways which have nicked Tudor-arched lintels (including 2 blocked doorways at 1st floor of the partition); massive wallplates, that in the rear wall with motices of former wallposts and studs over the present windows; massive arch-braces to the tie-beams; rectangular stone fireplace in south gable wall with chamfered lintel (now blocked). Forms group with bridge over moat to south.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.