You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388005  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 388005
Location: CHURCH OF ST GEORGE, CHESTER ROAD (north side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 12 September 2002
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 03 October 1974
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8297CHESTER ROAD698-1/18/57(North side)

MANCHESTER SJ8297 CHESTER ROAD 698-1/18/57 (North side) 03/10/74 Church of St George GV II* Church. 1826-8, by Francis Goodwin, restored 1884 by J.S.Crowther. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Gothick Perpendicular style. Nave with west tower, north and south aisles under parallel roofs, diagonal porches at west ends of these, and high polygonal apse. Tall west tower of 4 unequal stages, with set-back buttresses completed as tall octagonal traceried pinnacles with embattled tops and crocketed spirelets; 2-centred arched west doorway with set-in shafts and 3 orders of moulding, double doors with Perpendicular tracery, traceried 2-light west window, clock-face over this, coupled traceried 2-light windows to the 3rd stage, tall set-back 4th stage with slender louvred and traceried belfry window, open-work parapet and much carved ornament. Six-bay aisles with buttresses finished as pinnacles rising through embattled parapet, large 2-centred arched 3-light transomed windows with Perpendicular tracery and hoodmoulds; diagonal west porches with doorways similar to west doorway of tower, and traceried 2-light windows. Embattled parapet to nave, terminating in octagonal east turrets matching the pinnacles of the tower. High polygonal apse. Interior not inspected but reported as having: galleries; Perpendicular arcades; wall monument to The Hon. George Berkeley Molyneux (d.1841), by Edward Physick, in form of soldier mourning beside urn (these details from Pevsner).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.