You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388025  

Print Page



© Mr Mike Widdas

IoE Number: 388025
Location: LANCASHIRE INDEPENDENT COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD (south side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Mike Widdas
Date Photographed: 14 February 2002
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ89SW COLLEGE ROAD, Whalley Range 698-1/8/827 (South side) 03/10/74 GMB National College (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Whalley Range (South side) Lancashire Independent College) GV II* College for training of Non-Conformist ministers, now Trade Union college. 1840-43, by Irwin and Chester, wings re-built to 3 storeys and hall added in late 1870s; altered. Sandstone ashlar (brick at rear), slate roofs. Elongated E-plan, the main range facing north, with rear wings, that in the centre containing the former chapel or hall. Gothick style. Two storeys raised over a full basement storey, plus central tower, 1:9:3:9:1 windows, symmetrical, the centre and ends breaking forwards. The central entrance block, forming an eye-catching feature, has set-back buttresses (finished as pinnacles), steps up to a moulded Tudor-arched doorway under a shield with angel supporters, a full-height oriel above with transomed windows of 3 and 2 stages separated by panelling with a clock-face, a pierced parapet and crocketed corner pinnacles, and an octagonal 2-stage lantern with open arcading, gargoyles and pinnacles. The 9-bay side ranges have Tudor-arched arcades to a cloister which runs through the whole and has 2-light mullioned windows to the basement, a string-course over this, large 6-light mullion-and-transom windows to the principal floor with a drip-band stepped over them, 2-light mullioned windows to the top floor, and an embattled parapet. The wings have oriel windows and crow-stepped gables with crocketed corner pinnacles. All windows have geometrical leaded glazing. The rear and rear wings, of brick, have similar transomed windows, those in the hall Tudor-arched and with cusped lights. Interior: galleried entrance hall; good Gothick decoration to most rooms on the principal floor (including Tudor-arched doors, moulded plaster ceilings, fireplaces, etc. History: built to provide higher education for Nonconformists (excluded from the Universities of Oxford and Cambridge until 1871), ante-dating Owens College (1851) with which it jointly established the Victoria University of Manchester in 1880.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.