You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388078  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 388078
Location: DALE WAREHOUSE, DALE STREET (east side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 13 June 2004
Date listed: 10 November 1972
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8498SEDALE STREET698-1/29/94(East side)

MANCHESTER SJ8498SE DALE STREET 698-1/29/94 (East side) 10/11/72 Dale Warehouse (formerly listed as Warehouse of the Rochdale Canal Company) GV II* Canal warehouse, including subterranean water-wheel; now store and display rooms. 1806, by William Crossley (dated on keystone of window in north gable), with waterwheel of 1824; altered. Watershot coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. Rectangular plan on north-south axis, with shipping holes in rear (east) wall and water-wheel next to south end. Four storeys over a basement, the former front on the west side (now mostly covered by wooden sheds etc) apparently symmetrical, 1:3:1 bays, the centre projected slightly; basement plinth, quoins, bands on 4 levels, moulded cornice, parapet over projected centre; windows with raised sills and plain surrounds (now mostly blocked with brick), and at ground floor of south end a segmental-headed loading doorway with gudgeon of former wall-crane to left. Roof has small skylights, gable chimneys. North gable wall has 3 windows on each floor and Venetian window to attic with lettered keystone (not legible from ground), this and 2 windows immediately below all with original small-paned glazing (others with altered glazing). South gable wall (present entrance front) has central round-headed doorway to raised ground floor, one rectangular window each side, and a full-height round-headed loading slot above the door, with loading doors to each level including attic (but that at 1st floor concealed by signboard), all with wooden sills and the top under a hoist-canopy. Rear has 2 semicircular shipping holes in centre, a round-headed doorway to the left, 4 windows on each floor above, and small gable on roof over left-hand windows. INTERIOR: 2 rows of cast-iron columns with unusual integral struts to long fish-bellied plates carrying timber beams, the lower half of the columns octagonal in section and those on the upper floors with integral flanges for longitudinal shuttering; subterranean wheel-pit parallel to south wall containing 16-foot breast-shot water-wheel (by T.C.Hewes) with hub-mounted gearing and remains of wooden spokes and wrought-iron and wooden buckets, formerly used to drive hoists both in this building and in a former warehouse to the south (via line-shaft through tunnel which mostly survives beneath car-park). (Manchester Region Industrial Archaeology Society: 1989-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.