You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388133  

Print Page



© Mr Peter Sargeant

IoE Number: 388133
Location: CHURCH OF ST WILFRID, FORD LANE (south side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Peter Sargeant
Date Photographed: 25 August 2001
Date listed: 25 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1952
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8390FORD LANE, Northenden698-1/24/775(South side)

MANCHESTER SJ8390 FORD LANE, Northenden 698-1/24/775 (South side) 25/02/52 Church of St Wilfrid GV II* Parish church. C15 but rebuilt (except for the tower, which was restored) in 1873-76, to designs of J.S.Crowther. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Perpendicular style. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, chancel with north and south chapels. String courses (etc) variously enriched with carved grotesques, etc. The 3-stage tower with diagonal buttresses, moulded plinth, string-courses and embattled parapet, has a restored 2-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and ogee hood with crocketed pinnacle, a restored 3-light west window with Perpendicular tracery, and restored 2-light louvred belfry windows. The 5-bay nave has pairs of 2-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, and crocketed corner pinnacles. The aisles are buttressed and have segmental-pointed 3-light windows with hoodmoulds, except in the 2nd bay where the south aisle has a gabled porch with angle-buttresses, a 4-centred arched doorway with shafts and carved spandrels, and a statue in a niche with a tall crocketed pinnacle; and the north aisle has a 2-centred arched doorway. The 2-bay south chapel and 3-bay north chapel, continued from the aisles (large octagonal pinnacles marking the junction), have 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery; the chancel has a 3-light window on the south side; and at the east end the aisles and chancel have windows of 4, 5 and 5 lights with Perpendicular tracery. Interior: 5-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns with moulded and embattled caps, and double-chamfered 2-centred arches with linked hoodmoulds which have figured stops; short wall-posts on large corbels in the form of angels holding shields with symbols of the crucifixion; tall chancel arch moulded in 2 orders; 2-bay north and south chancel arcades occupied by re-located screens of 1527 with thin tracery and elaborately carved leaf frieze; hammer-beam roof to chancel; various wall monuments to members of the Tatton and Egerton families including: Robert Tatton (d.1689), aedicule with putti; Mrs Egerton (d.1784), urn with carved flower garland; William Egerton (d.1806), woman lying on sarcophagus; and to Thomas Worthington (d.1856), mourning woman with 3 sarcophagi under weeping willow.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.