You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388201  

Print Page



© Mr Joe Chippendale LRPS DPAGB

IoE Number: 388201
Location: ELLEN WILKINSON HIGH SCHOOL, HYDE ROAD (north side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Joe Chippendale LRPS DPAGB
Date Photographed: 07 April 2002
Date listed: 03 October 1974
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8596 HYDE ROAD, Ardwick 698-1/21/481 (North side) 03/10/74 Ellen Wilkinson High School (Formerly Listed as: HYDE ROAD, Ardwick (North side) Nicholls Ardwick High School) GV II* Formerly known as: Nicholls Hospital HYDE ROAD Ardwick. Charity school, now High School. 1867-80, by Thomas Worthington, for Benjamin Nicholls. Red brick with sandstone dressings and steeply-pitched slate roofs. Rectangular double-pile main range, with various extensions and additions to rear. Gothic style. Two high storeys with basement and attic, 11 bays, symmetrical, with central tower breaking forwards; deep stone sill-bands to all floors, small stone tourelles to the corners, gabled stone half-dormers, and central tower rising 2 stages above the eaves, with machicolated stone parapet and corner tourelles, and steep saddle-back roof with gableted 3-light windows and ridge cresting. The entrance in the base of the tower, approached by a long flight of steps with stone balustrades, has a 2-centred arched doorway with moulded surround and double-doors with Gothic panelling, flanked by canopied Gothic niches; the 1st and 2nd floors have a tiered stone oriel with stepped parapet rising to a canopied niche flanked by lancets at 3rd floor. The 5-bay side ranges have stone cross-windows to all floors, all with quoined surrounds and those at 1st floor with straight dripmoulds; and the attic dormers are slightly corbelled out and have Gothic enrichment. Stone coping to the gables with heraldic finials. Interior not inspected. History: established by Benjamin Nicholls as memorial to his son John Ashton Nicholls, died in 1859 after a short life of service to the poor of Ancoats and Ardwick. Forms group with forecourt wall, gate piers and gates (q.v.), and with memorials to Benjamin Nicholls (q.v.) and John Ashton Nicholls (q.v.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.