You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388214  

Print Page



© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 388214
Location: MILL BUILDING, PART OF MURRAY'S MILL, JERSEY STREET (south side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 10 April 2007
Date listed: 20 June 1988
Date of last amendment: 06 June 1994
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTER SJ8498 JERSEY STREET, Ancoats 698-1/17/871 (South side) 20/06/88 New Mill (Formerly Listed as: JERSEY STREET, Ancoats Mill building, part of Murray's Mill) GV II* Cotton spinning mill, now disused. Built in 1804. Red brick in Flemish bond, with slate roof. Cast iron and timber internal structure. 6-storeys, 22 bays, with slightly advanced 6-window range to centre, and 4-window gabled returns. Cambered brick heads to 9-paned windows. Semi-circular stair turret in centre of rear elevation, which also has narrow vent-towers to each side. Detached egine house beyond the stair turret was partly rebuilt in the late C19 or early C20 (a new engine house built early C20 on conversion to rope drive does not survive). Original internal structure comprised cruciform cast iron columns supporting timber beams and joisted floors: these survive on upper storeys, and have been replaced with cylindrical columns and steel beams elsewhere. The mill was built as part of Adam and George Murray's textile works, established on this site in 1798, and expanded to form a courtyard in which 3 spinning mills were linked by warehouse and office blocks around a courtyard and canal basin. Included as a now rare example of early non-fireproof construction, and as an important component of Murray's mills. (Williams, M.: Cotton Mills in Greater Manchester: LONDON: 1992-: 159-162; Greater Manchester Sites and Monuments Record).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.