You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388287  

Print Page



© Mr Mike Widdas

IoE Number: 388287
Location: CHRIST CHURCH, LLOYD STREET NORTH (west side)
  MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Mike Widdas
Date Photographed: 02 September 2002
Date listed: 24 April 1987
Date of last amendment: 24 April 1987
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ89NWLLOYD STREET NORTH, Moss Side698-1/4/758(West side)

MANCHESTER SJ89NW LLOYD STREET NORTH, Moss Side 698-1/4/758 (West side) 24/04/87 Christ Church II* Church. 1896-1904, by Cecil Hardisty; dated 1896 on plaque at east end. Glazed red brick with red sandstone dressings and steeply pitched slate roof. Free late Gothic style with Arts and Crafts features. Nave and full-height chancel, north aisle to nave with mono-pitched roof, south aisle to both nave and aisle with pitched roof concealed by parapet, west porch with corner bellcote. String course stepped and carried round. The west end has a 3-bay single-storey porch with narrow buttresses flanking the centre finished as octagonal pinnacles rising through a parapet which has a traceried open-work panel in the centre, a segmental-headed doorway to the centre with a lettered banner above, and in each outer bay a low depressed arched window of 2 cusped lights with mouchette and dagger tracery; above the porch, paired 3-light windows (concealed by scaffold screens at time of survey); and a coped gable, the left corner carried up to a stone bellcote with stone chequer-board patterning below the opening. The aisles have buttresses and large arched 3-light windows with cusped lights and elaborate Arts-and-Crafts tracery, except that to the south side of the chancel which has 2-light windows in the side and a 4-light window in the east end, with emphatic tracery. The east gable has a plaque with a central cross, and Gothic lettering "Ad Gloriam Dei" above, "A. MDCC" to the left and "CXCVI D" to the right, and "Jacobus Moorhouse STP/Episcopus/ posuit " below; a large 7-light traceried window, chequer-board patterning above this and a parapet with traceried stone panels at the corners. Interior (as reported 24.04.87): 4-bay aisle arcades of octagonal columns without capitals and tall pointed and chamfered arches; steps up to 3-bay chancel with south arcade and clerestory; low stone wall between nave and chancel, incorporating pulpit; wooden barrel roofs; west gallery; polygonal font with marble columns; fine reredos and lectern by G.F.Bodley (from church of St Edward, Holbeck, Leeds); organ case by Oldrid Scott (from church of St Peter, Northampton).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.