You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388305  

Print Page

© Mr Brian Lomas

IoE Number: 388305
Photographer: Mr Brian Lomas
Date Photographed: 24 November 2005
Date listed: 29 November 1988
Date of last amendment: 29 November 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MANCHESTERSJ8599LOWER VICKERS STREET, Miles Platting698-1/15/747(South side)

MANCHESTER SJ8599 LOWER VICKERS STREET, Miles Platting 698-1/15/747 (South side) 29/11/88 Victoria Mill GV II* Cotton spinning mill, now disused; a double mill built in 2 phases in 1869 and 1873. George Woodhouse, architect, for William Holland. Red brick with yellow brick dressings; roof not visible but probably slate. Fire-proof internal structure. U-plan formed by 2 large rectangular spinning mills, joined by a central engine house. Symmetrically planned about a central stair turret wrapped around the chimney with engine house (rebuilt in 1902 on conversion to rope drive) and boiler house to the rear, in the centre of a narrow courtyard formed by the 2 mill ranges to either side of the stair tower, a 3-window range, that to left with former internal engine house marked by partially blocked round-arched window; the right hand range obscured by a brick shaft of 1920. This central block is flanked by the 2 spinning mills, each a 6-storey, 11x10 bay block, with stressed angle pilasters (extended as privy towers to N elevation). Italianate detail of spinning mills, which have segmentally headed windows to 5 storeys, and coupled round-headed windows to the upper storey, arcaded with shafts and continuous sill band. 2-window towers towards centre of each mill appear to be later additions. Interior not inspected, but constructional system almost certainly transverse brick arches carried on cast iron columns. Ancillary buildings survive to NW of site, but former blowing rooms and offices, which were built parallel to the front of the mill across a narrow yard, and a range of ancillary buildings to the SE are no longer extant. A very large double mill for its date, which makes striking use of a distinctive industrial architectural vocabulary (especially in the economical design of combined stair tower and chimney). An excellent example of the development of a specifically industrial architecture, and of the work of George Woodhouse.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.