You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388429  

Print Page



© Mr Alan Francis Polaine

IoE Number: 388429
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH STREET (south side)
  DALTON TOWN WITH NEWTON, BARROW IN FURNESS, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Alan Francis Polaine
Date Photographed: 23 August 2007
Date listed: 25 February 1950
Date of last amendment: 25 February 1950
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BARROW IN FURNESSSD2273CHURCH STREET, Dalton In Furness708-1/11/166(South side)

BARROW IN FURNESS SD2273 CHURCH STREET, Dalton In Furness 708-1/11/166 (South side) 25/02/50 Church of St Mary GV II* Church on site of earlier church. 1882-5. By Paley and Austin. Snecked red sandstone with ashlar dressings, graduated green slate roof. 6-bay nave with separately-roofed aisles; 3-stage tower over west end of nave, porches to north and south; 2-bay chancel with north vestry and south chapel. Gothic Revival style with Decorated tracery. Chamfered plinth; iron gutter brackets; chequerwork to parapets, over the porches and over east and west windows; roll-moulded copings to the gables and parapets. South aisle: offset buttresses to east end and between 2 pairs of 4-light windows having differing tracery, pointed arches and hoodmoulds. South porch (now opening into church centre of 1980) is hexagonal and vaulted: buttresses at each angle; moulded inner doorway with ballflowers; parapet. North aisle is longer having an extra bay to east with organ chamber lit by lozenge windows; adjacent 3-light aisle window (reused from earlier church) has taller, yellow sandstone surround and hoodmould with head-carved stops. Stack to east gable of aisle. North porch is 3-sided with enriched arch, buttresses and ashlar roof. Nave west window, in base of tower, is of 3-lights with stepped transom; chequer panel and traceried, square window above. Tower: setback buttresses flank louvred, 3-light belfry openings with pointed arches and hoodmoulds set within flushwork panels; string course beneath embattled parapet; octagonal vice to south-west corner rises higher. Chancel is under same roofline as nave: offset buttresses flank 6-light east window having 2 King mullions linked by transom, ogee-headed lights, cusped hexafoil and hoodmould. Gable has slit and apex cross. South chapel: small, semi-octagonal projection between 2 pairs of 2-light windows (reused from earlier church and of yellow sandstone); 2-light window to east; parapet to lean-to roof; square, quatrefoiled windows to the chancel. North vestry: ogee-headed door under round arch; traceried cross-window; 2-light east window. INTERIOR: western bay of nave, beneath tower, has arches to 3 sides springing from polygonal-based piers; half arches to the aisles. 5-bay arcades with octagonal piers, moulded capitals, double-chamfered arches and linked hoodmoulds. Broad, moulded chancel arch against which are a flying buttress across east end of north aisle and a pointed arch to the organ chamber. 2 arches into south chapel. Sedilia; carved reredos with alabaster insets. Nave and chancel have a barrel ceiling with bow-string trusses; those to the chancel with tracery and ogee-headed openings. C14 font beneath tower with crozier on shield and 7 pairs of shields on the other sides. c1885 semi-octagonal wooden pulpit on base corbelled from chancel-arch pier (gift of Edward Wadham of Millwood). Stained glass: C15 fragments in north porch. Mid-late C19 glass includes: north-aisle window, the gift of Henry Schneider in memory of his wife Augusta (d.1862); east window given by the Duke of Devonshire in memory of his son Lord Frederick Cavendish; 2 windows in south aisle by Shrigley and Hunt of Lancaster; Baldwin memorial windows in south chapel, c1870. Monuments: various C19 wall monuments at west end of aisles. In south chapel are several to the Baldwin and Atkinson families: to Eliz. Baldwin d.1848 by W Audby of York; to Wm Atkinson d.1821 by Webster of Kendal. Paley and Austin built this, 'one of their most spectacular churches' (Pevsner), on the impressive site of the former parish church, cleared away in 1883. The cost of »11,553 defrayed by the Duke of Devonshire, the Duke of Buccleuch and others. The new church re-established the importance of Dalton following the formation of the Borough of Barrow in Furness with its many new places of worship. (Dent E: The Parish Church: Dalton in Furness, A History: 1985-; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: North Lancashire: London: 1969-: 111-112; Walton J E: Dalton in Furness in Old Picture Postcards: Netherlands: 1983-: 36-39).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.