You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388888  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 388888
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY, CHURCH STREET (west side)
  OLDHAM, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 01 April 2001
Date listed: 08 March 1993
Date of last amendment: 08 March 1993
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLDHAMSD90NECHURCH STREET, Waterhead780-1/2/100(West side)

OLDHAM SD90NE CHURCH STREET, Waterhead 780-1/2/100 (West side) Church of the Holy Trinity II Parish church. 1847 by E H Shellard with tower and spire added later. Coursed and squared rubble, with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate roof with ridge cresting. West tower and spire, nave with 2 aisles, chancel. Early English style. 2 stage west tower with tall lower stage and clasping buttresses. West door with shafts and deep moulding. Triple lancet window above, then a quatrefoil. Paired bell chamber lights in upper stage, corbel table and brooch spire with lucarnes. Long nave of 6 bays with lean-to aisles divided by buttresses. Continuous sill band, and heavy unmoulded blocks between the windows, possibly unfinished corbel heads. Cornice and overhanging eaves. Gabled north porch with shafts to doorway. Trefoiled clerestory windows divided by pilasters. Lower chancel with stepped lancets to east window with continuous hoodmould. Gabled vestry to north of chancel. Interior: nave arcade of 6 bays with clustered banded shafts and roll moulded capitals. Stumpy wall shafts carry cambered truss and collar roof with king posts. Painted ceiling. Single chamfered west door, and paired lancets above, now lighting base of tower. Shafts as responds to chancel arch, with painted text over archway. Chancel refitted 1884: Encaustic tiles, painted panelled ceiling. Wood traceried reredos. Stained glass: all the principal windows carry stained glass: in the south aisle, one by Capronnier dated 1892, and another unsigned but in similar style, 1880. 2 windows by R.B.Edmondson of Manchester, 1880 and 1897. East window of 1871 in medieval style. North aisle windows include one by Mayer and Co. of Munich, dated 1906, 1904 by Reuban Bennet of Manchester, and 1906 by Heaton Butler and Bayne. (Slater: Directory of Oldham: Oldham: 1895-).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.