You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388891  

Print Page

© Mr Peter Hyde

IoE Number: 388891
Photographer: Mr Peter Hyde
Date Photographed: 10 February 2006
Date listed: 23 January 1973
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLDHAMSD9205SEEGERTON STREET780-1/5/28Henshaw's Bluecoat School

OLDHAM SD9205SE EGERTON STREET 780-1/5/28 Henshaw's Bluecoat School 23/01/73 II School. 1829-1834. By Richard Lane. Ashlar faced with Welsh slate roof. 2 storeys, symmetrically planned about a central entrance hall. Neo-Tudor style. Central and outer gabled wings each a 3-window range, linked by longer 5-window ranges. Advanced central wing with central moulded arched doorway and 3-light mullioned and transomed windows above on first and attic storeys, with steep gable above and polygonal pilasters terminating in truncated pinnacles. Outer 2-light mullioned windows on each floor, and polygonal angle pilasters with embattled pinnacles. Outer gables are similarly styled, with polygonal angle pilasters with truncated pinnacles, and steep coped gables. Windows throughout are mullioned and with margin lights in deep splayed embrasures. Embattled parapet over 5-window linking ranges. Advanced single storeyed parallel wing to right added in 1908, employing similar style. INTERIOR retains much of the orignal planning, in spite of the loss of the original hall (housed to the rear of the right hand gabled wing). Central entrance and stair hall, with cantilevered stone stair with cast-iron balustrade, linked to central spinal corridor by three moulded archways on each floor. Some original detailing also survives, particularly the moulded plasterwork of the corridor, and the cornice and gothick fireplace in the former governor's dining room. The school was founded as the result of a bequest from Thomas Henshaw, a hatter of Oldham, supplemented by a public appeal.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.