You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 388949  

Print Page



© Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS

IoE Number: 388949
Location: LYCEUM AND ART SCHOOL, UNION STREET (north side)
  OLDHAM, OLDHAM, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Ms Pamela Jackson LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 March 2001
Date listed: 23 January 1973
Date of last amendment: 23 January 1973
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

OLDHAMSD9204NEUNION STREET780-1/6/83(North side)

OLDHAM SD9204NE UNION STREET 780-1/6/83 (North side) 23/01/73 Lyceum and School of Art GV II Lyceum and Art School. Built in a single block and to a common style, the Lyceum in 1856, the Art School (to the right) added in 1881. Pennington of Manchester the original architect. Ashlar, rusticated to ground floor, Welsh slate roof. The 2 buildings form a strongly symmetrical range, differing only in small details. Each is 2-storeyed, a 7-window range with central entrance. Lyceum (to the left) has round-arched doorway with rusticated and chamfered stonework each side, and paired 8-panelled doors in slightly advanced architrave enriched with low-relief carving. Three 2-pane sashes each side of entrance, and round-arched upper windows with low relief panelling above and below forming a continuous arcade at first floor level. Laurel wreaths in low relief above the windows, and Greek key frieze. Elaborate tripartite window over entrance, with foliate capitals to architrave, round-arched central light, and segmental glazing forming outer arch. Cast-iron balconette. Modillions and foliate emblems form cornice over this bay, which has a shallow segmental pediment inscribed "Lyceum". Urns surmount the panelled parapet. Art School similarly detailed, differing only in the entrance bay, which has a plainer squared architrave and overlight, with heavily rusticated piers. Pediment over this bay inscribed "Science and Art". Return elevations to Clegg Street and Greaves Street similarly detailed. Heavy decorated cast-iron railings on low plinth wall with stone piers at angles and each side of entrance steps, surmounted by cast-iron globe lamps. The Lyceum was built to include newsroom, reading room and library, lecture rooms, committee and club rooms, class rooms and observatory.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.