You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 38971  

Print Page

© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 38971
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 20 July 2001
Date listed: 14 December 1978
Date of last amendment: 14 December 1978
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

HENLEY ROAD5128Main block and chapelat Queen Anne's SchoolSU 7175 10/498

HENLEY ROAD 1. 5128 Main block and chapel at Queen Anne's School SU 7175 10/498 II 2. 'U' plan of Amersham Hall (1870s) by Alfred Waterhouse for Mr West retained. Altered and extended by Joseph Morris 1893-1896 and again between the wars. South front; symmetrical 2 1/2 and 3 storeys block, red brick with stone quoins and dressings and occasional blue-black diapers. 5 bays. 4 gables, the 2 principal ones project and flank central gabled porch. Coped gables with moulded kneelers and brick block cornice returns. Moulded string over ground floor. Slate roof grooved chimneys at sides of gables. Mullioned casement windows with stop chamfered reveals, brick relieving arches over. Caernavron arch fanlight over door. Porch flanked by tall single light windows, 3 light window over central blind window which contains monogram panel. [? EMM over 86 ? in leafy relief]. Secondary porch at angle of right hand bay and principal right hand gable. Chapel added by Sir Reginald Bloomfield 1893 - red brick with stone dressings and dividing buttresses. Slate roof with parapet to south. 3 bay aisled nave with chancel. Interior of school altered, but hall retains Gothic fireplace and some heating fixtures.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.