You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 391905  

Print Page



© Mr K. Foster LRPS

IoE Number: 391905
Location: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, BLACKPOOL ROAD (south side)
  PRESTON, PRESTON, LANCASHIRE
Photographer: Mr K. Foster LRPS
Date Photographed: 08 August 1999
Date listed: 27 September 1979
Date of last amendment: 27 September 1979
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PRESTONSD53SWBLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble941-1/1/309(South side)

PRESTON SD53SW BLACKPOOL ROAD, Ashton On Ribble 941-1/1/309 (South side) 27/09/79 Church of St Andrew GV II Parish church of Ashton-on-Ribble. 1836, enlarged and altered 1873-4 by Ewan Christian, vestry added 1902. Coursed squared sandstone, slate roofs. Nave, chancel, small west tower; wide north aisle added 1874, north organ house dated 1874 on rainwater head; vestry beyond this dated 1902 similarly. Romanesque tower, otherwise simple Early English style. Square 3-stage tower with clasping buttresses to 1st stage, set-back belfry stage, and short broach spire; 2 round-headed lancets to the 1st stage, one similar but larger window to the 2nd stage, with a hoodmould, and triple round-headed louvred lancets to the belfry. Nave, 4 bays, with buttresses (except at corners), has 2-centred arched windows with hoodmoulds and simple plate-tracery, all 2 lights except that in wider east bay which has 3 lights. North aisle in matching style, with gabled porch to west bay. INTERIOR: nave and aisle have arch-braced king-post roofs with curved struts; round-headed tower arch; 4-bay aisle arcade with stout cylindrical piers of polished pink granite carrying low 2-centred double-chamfered arches; chancel arch similar but larger, and with semi-columns of polished granite; chancel with sedilia, north arch to organ house, and wagon roof. Good wall monuments to various members of the Pedder family of Ashton Lodge (Pedder Lane, q.v.), including: Jane Pedder (d.1838), wall tablet surmounted by draped urn; James Pedder (d.1846), large monument with white tablet in sarcophagus form surmounted by woman weeping over broken Corinthian column (both these by C.Lewis of Cheltenham); Captain Thomas Pedder (d.1858), a white marble relief with sarcophagus flanked by military weepers and with inscription recording that he died of sunstroke after participating in the Relief of Lucknow during the Indian Mutiny (by H.Weekes); Richard Newsham Pedder of 8th Irish Hussars, (d.Calcutta 1863), wall tablet surmounted by trophies, helmets etc; also Herbert Davies M.B.,CH.B. (d.1900) in Orange River Colony, of dysentery, while serving as civil surgeon in Transvaal War, wall tablet with profile in relief.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.