You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 396504  

Print Page

© Mr James A Irving

IoE Number: 396504
Photographer: Mr James A Irving
Date Photographed: 05 September 1999
Date listed: 06 December 1990
Date of last amendment: 06 December 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following structure shall be added to the list:SU 4767 SWNEWBURYKENNET & AVON CANAL6/241Newbury LockGVII

The following structure shall be added to the list: SU 4767 SW NEWBURY KENNET & AVON CANAL 6/241 Newbury Lock GV II Lock. 1796, C20 alterations. Brick chamber with stone coping. 2 sets of double wooden gates; top gates with mechanical gate paddle gearing, bottom gates with hydraulic gate paddle gearing. Top gates also assisted by lever operated ground paddle gearing, with a single lever on each side of chamber. Reputed to be the only lock in Southern England with this type of paddle gear. The Kennet Navigation was established by 1724 and acquired by the Kennet & Avon Canal Co in 1812. John Hore was engineer to the Navigation. John Rennie was engineer to the Canal.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.