You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 39700  

Print Page

© Mr Richard Swynford-Lain

IoE Number: 39700
Location: ALDERMASTON LOCK AT SU 601671,
Photographer: Mr Richard Swynford-Lain
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 06 December 1990
Date of last amendment: 06 December 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ALDERMASTONKENNET & AVON CANALso 66 NW4/14Aldermaston Lock atSU 601671

ALDERMASTON KENNET & AVON CANAL so 66 NW 4/14 Aldermaston Lock at SU 601671 II Lock. Early C18. Originally turf-sided, enlarged mid C18 and given scalloped brick walls, altered late C20 when walls were raised to full height of lock. Brick chamber walls of it scalloped bays, with brick coping. Concrete uprights between scalloped bays. 2 sets of double wooden gates, all with mechanical gate paddle gearing. Brick paved lockside surfaces. The Kennet Navigation was established by 1724 and acquired by the Kennet & Avon Canal Co in 1812. John Hore was engineer to the Navigation. John Rennie was engineer to the Canal. Schedule ancient monument; Berks 192.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.