You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 398062  

Print Page



© Mr Roger Ashley

IoE Number: 398062
Location: CRANSLEY HALL, CHURCH LANE (south side)
  CRANSLEY, KETTERING, NORTHAMPTONSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Roger Ashley
Date Photographed: 11 June 2004
Date listed: 25 October 1951
Date of last amendment: 25 October 1951
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

CRANSLEYCHURCH LANESP 87 NW(south side)5/18Cransley Hall25.10.51

CRANSLEY CHURCH LANE SP 87 NW (south side) 5/18 Cransley Hall 25.10.51 GV II* Small country house. Built for Henry Robinson 1677. South and east fronts, 1708. Bay window to south front c 1800. C19 additions. Squared ironstone with limestone dressings and Collyweston and Welsh slate hipped roof. Plinth, moulded first floor band, deeply moulded modillioned eaves cornice. Grouped coped stone ridge and side wall stacks. Square plan with central light well. 2 storeys plus attics. 7 X 5 bays. Principal east front has 7-window range of 12/12 sashes with projecting bolection-moulded ashlar surrounds, and above, 4 slate hung pedimented dormers each with a 2-light glazing bar casement. Off-centre 2-storey ashlar projecting bay has chamfered quoins. Moulded ashlar doorcase had segmental pediment containing a crest and a 2-panel fielded door with overlight. To the right, a late C19 billiard room with a canted end with 3 sashes. South garden front is a similar 5-window range with 2- storey bay window with 3 glazing bar sashes. Windows have moulded surrounds with keystones. Central gabled dormer. West front is a similar 4-window range with an off-centre ashlar doorcase with Doric piers and a segmental pediment. Above it a tablet with a crest. Windows have moulded surrounds with keystones. 4 pedimented dormers, each with an asymmetrical sliding sash. Beyond, to the left, a C19 2-storey 3 window range in matching style, with half-glazed door. To the far left, a lean-to outbuilding and a flat roofed stone addition with casements. North side has a projecting 2-bay service range with a half-glazed C19 door and overlight, flanked to right by a glazing bar sash, both with keystones. 2 casements above. To the left, billiard room with 2 sashes. To the right, a setback kitchen range with 3 sashes and a 2-light casement. Casements above. To right again, an ironstone and brick kitchen yard wall with slab coping, containing a gateway and 2 casements. Interior: entrance hall has an early C19 moulded wood cantilevered staircase with matching shaped landing balustrade, turned balusters and scrolled ramped handrail. Dining room has good quality mid-C18 plasterwork with shaped festooned wall panels, deep modillioned frieze and overmantel with acanthus scrolls and open segmental pediment containing a basket of fruit. The south wall has a central moulded bracketed and pedimented doorcase with a 2-panel door. Central corridor has a large semicircular recess containing a moulded doorcase leading to the drawing room. This has reeded Ionic corner pilasters, festooned reeded wall panels, foliate moulded cornice, and a pair of Ionic pilaster piers to the bay window. Classical marble fireplace with a wreathed wooden frieze and cornice, flanked by single fitted cupboards with moulded architraves. North wall has a central C18 doorcase with eared architrave, scroll brackets and oakleaf frieze. Plaster panelled music room has fireplace with flanking Ionic pilasters. To its left, a moulded round headed archway, now blocked, and beyond, a moulded round headed doorway. Billiard room has half-height oak panelling c 1890 and a wide tapestry frieze. Coffered ceiling. Breakfast room has full height oak panelling c 1890, with late C18 basket grate in bracketed reeded oak surround with ornamental panel. Cransley Hall was built for Henry Robinson of Cransley, and passed to the Rose family in 1791, remaining in their hands till 1904. Sources: Pevsner J Gotch NMR

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.