You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399025  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 399025
Location: ST MARY'S CHURCH, CHARLCOMBE LANE (north side)
  CHARLCOMBE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 06 May 2000
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 NWCHARLCOMBECHARLCOMBE LANE (north side)4/2St. Mary's Church1.2.56II*

ST 76 NW CHARLCOMBE CHARLCOMBE LANE (north side) 4/2 St. Mary's Church 1.2.56 II* G.V. Anglican Parish Church. C12, C13 and altered C15; restored 1857-61, probably J. Wilson of Bath, and possibly to plans by G.G. Scott. Ashlar and coursed squared rubble with freestone dressings; stone slate roof with coped raised verges. Nave with west bell-turret, south porch and chancel. Low, square west bell-turret corbelled out on west gable of nave: embattled parapet, string course and square open lights. Nave has a C19 3-light window. Chancel: C19 single and 2-light windows with cusped heads; buttress with off-sets at east end; C19 2-light Perpendicular style east window. South porch: ashlar facade with a chamfered and segmental headed doorway. South door is C12 (restored); columns with trumpet capitals; chamfered and round-headed surround. Interior. Chamfered and pointed chancel and tower arches; both have a chamfered outer order to the upper part; squint in north jamb of tower arch. Font: probably early C12; round bowl with decorative underside of upright leaves in two tiers, on a cylindrical stem. Monuments. Nave: Elizabeth Wilkinson, died 1735, inscribed stone plaque with open pediment; Manley Power, died 1780, oval inscribed marble plaque. Chancel: Lady Barbara Montagu, died 1765, by Ford of Bath, marble, a woman in robes rests on a plinth, aedicular surround with open pediment and arms. The novelist Henry Fielding was married to Charlotte Craddock on 28.XI.1734. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. J. Orbach, personal information).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.