© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, CHURCH STREET (east side)
CHARLCOMBE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
07 August 1999
01 February 1956
Date of last amendment:
01 February 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 76 NW CHARLCOMBE CHURCH STREET, WOOLLEY (east
1.2.56 All Saints Church
Anglican Parish Church. 1761 by John Wood, the Younger, of Bath, for Mrs.
Elizabeth Parkin of Ravenfield, Yorkshire and Woolley Manor; repaired 1978.
Ashlar with a slate roof behind a coped parapet and a moulded cornice. In
effect a classical church but with Gothick dressings and consisting of a nave
with a west bell tower and an apsidal sanctuary. The west gable end is the
'front': pointed central doorway in an ovolo moulded surround and with a studded
plank door; above is a cusped circular window and a pediment surmounts the gable
end. The parapet above the pediment is swept up to the bell tower which has
circular lights and is topped by an octagonal cupola with urns at the corners.
The body of the church has Y-tracery windows, two to the nave and one to canted
exterior of the chancel. The interior is much altered: the fittings are late
C19 and 1903. C18 font with a circular bowl on a baluster stem, all enriched
with foliage. Pointed tower arch. Monuments include three funeral hatchments.
Nave: Mrs. Charity Wiltshire, died 1763, inscribed plaque on a coloured marble
ground with a moulded cornice and arms above; Mrs. Anne Worgan, died 1767,
inscribed marble plaque on a coloured marble ground with an urn above. Apse:
Richard Bendyshe, died 1825, inscribed marble plaque with a sarcophagus above.
The church replaced a mediaeval structure which had become ruinous. Mrs. Parkin
commissioned a second Gothick building, having already employed John Carr of York
to rebuild St. James' Church, Ravenfield, Yorks. in a Gothick style in 1756.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).