© Mr David J Lewis LRPS
ST MARY MAGDALENE'S CHURCH, LANGRIDGE LANE (north side)
CHARLCOMBE, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr David J Lewis LRPS
01 August 1999
01 February 1956
Date of last amendment:
01 February 1956
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST 76 NW CHARLCOMBE LANGRIDGE LANE, LANGRIDGE (north
1.2.56 St. Mary Magdalene's Church
Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered C13 and C14; restored and apse added
1869-72 by C.E. Davis of Bath. Coursed rubble and coursed squared rubble with
freestone dressings; Cotswold stone slate roofs with coped raised verges. West
tower, nave, south porch, chancel with apse and projections to north and south.
West tower of 2 stages with a saddleback roof; 2-light Perpendicular style west
window; plain lancet and cusped lancet windows to bell stage; buttress with
off-sets on south side. Nave: the north side has 3 windows, including a plain
C19 lancet, a C14 decorated window with cusped heads and a 2-light casement
window in ovolo moulded mullions and surrounds; the south side has one small
round-headed window to the west andaC19 2-light decorated style window.
Chancel: the apse has 3 plain round-headed windows with imposts and continuous
string course; south projection has doorway in roll moulded surround. Gabled
south porch of large, squared masonry blocks; double chamfered pointed doorway
under a hoodmould which is linked to a string course. South door is C12: beaded
and spiral moulded columns with scalloped capitals; arch of 2 orders of zig-zag
and outer band of chip-carved rosettes; inner roll moulded surround.
Interior: much restored chancel arch with two columns bearing scalloped capitals;
heavily enriched arch with much zig-zag ornament and hood-mould with beading.
Above the chancel arch is a restored round-headed niche with C13 sculptured
figures of the Virgin and Child. Font: ashlar, octagonal bowl on a stem.
Pulpit: Jacobean, polygonal with carved and enriched panels, back and sounding-
board. Bench ends carved by the Rector and friends c. 1880. Monuments. In
the tower is the C14 figure of a recumbent lady. Nave: brass to Elizabeth
Walsche died 1441; inscribed marble plaque to William and Catherine Wilton,
died 1792 and 1776. Chancel: numerous inscribed marble plaques, especially
Katherine Walrond died 1714, Lawrence Walrond died 1679, Anne Gunning died 1817,
by Reeves and Son of Bath. Greek Revival sarcophagus, John Gunning died 1843
by Reeves of Bath in a C17 style, oval brass of 1711 to Elizabeth Turner, and two
inscribed stone tablets of 1588 and 1616 to Powell family. (N. Pevsner, The
Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).