You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399384  

Print Page



© Mr Graham Wilson

IoE Number: 399384
Location: ST MARY'S CHURCH,
  CLAVERTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Graham Wilson
Date Photographed: 27 June 2005
Date listed: 01 February 1956
Date of last amendment: 01 February 1956
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 SECLAVERTON7/44St. Mary's Church1.2.56II

ST 76 SE CLAVERTON 7/44 St. Mary's Church 1.2.56 II G.V. Anglican Parish Church. C13, altered C15; heavily restored and rebuilt with exception of transept, by Manners and Gill of Bath 1858; north transept later C19 and vestry 1891. West tower, nave with north transept, south porch, chancel with north aisle and vestry. Coursed squared rubble with ashlar and freestone dressings; plain tiled roof over chancel and slate roof to nave behind an embattled parapet. West tower is the only substantial mediaeval part of the church; of 3 stages with off-sets on north and south sides, 2 stages to the west; saddleback roof set back behind plain parapet; 3-light C19 Perpendicular style west window; 2-light bell chamber window with lattice tracery. Nave: 3-light C19 Perpendicular style window with 4-centred head; decorative lead hopper dated 1628 (from the old manor); buttress at east end. Projecting gabled south porch, with chamfered outer doorway. Chancel: rood stair projection at south-west; two 2-light C19 Perpendicular style windows and central priest's door; C19 3-light east window with reticulated tracery. Perpendicular style windows to north transept and chapel. Interior: almost entirely mid - late C19. Wave and hollow moulded arch to north transept and chapel. Pulpit: C19 in a Perpendicular style. Font: 1866, marble; square top with relief panels on columns with foliate heads. Glass: North transept window has Flemish roundels of Tobit greeting Tobias, St. Peter with keys and a book, the Good Samaritan and a nun and whield emblazoned with a heart; the central panel depicts the Taking of Christ, early C14, ogee arch with heads of David and Solomon in spandrels; outer panels of arms of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou, probably early - mid C19 copies. Nave, south side, nimbed head of a man and 2 small shields of arms dated 1558 with a helm and mantling. Monuments. Chancel: William Bassett, died 1613, 2 frontal half-figures of Bassett and wife with baby, coloured marbles, Corinthian pilasters and arms above in pedimental fields; Richard Graves, died 1804 by T. King of Bath, marble inscribed plaque and draped urn over. Nave: James Clutterbuck, died 1776, inscribed marble tablet, draped woman on an urn, in an aedicular surround. North transept: William Skrine, died 1725, inscribed marble tablet in aedicular surround with segmental head. Hedges funeral hatchment in Nave and monument to Thomas Hedges, died 1798, in Tower. (N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958. C. Woodforde, The Stained Glass of Somerset, 1946).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.