You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399483  

Print Page



© Mrs Beryl Murray

IoE Number: 399483
Location: CLAVERTON PUMPING STATION,
  CLAVERTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mrs Beryl Murray
Date Photographed: 13 September 1999
Date listed: 14 August 1984
Date of last amendment: 14 August 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST 76 SECLAVERTON7/58Claverton Pumping StationG.V.II

ST 76 SE CLAVERTON 7/58 Claverton Pumping Station G.V. II Pumping Station. Designed by John Rennie and erected by Fox of Bristol, for the Kennet and Avon Canal Company. Opened 1813; ceased function in 1952 but restored 1969-75. Consists of the pump house at the west and the wheel house to the east. Pump house: ashlar and hipped slate roof; single round-headed door and casement window in south gable end; the west elevation has 3 round-headed windows on the ground floor, 3 square headed casements on the first floor and a plank door at the right. The wheel house projects to the west: weather-boarded sides with 2 casement windows; ashlar east gable with 2 round-headed doors flanking a segmental headed door. The breast shot water wheel (17'6" in diameter and 11'11" wide, and now seemingly in 2 parts as altered by the Great Western Railway Co. in 1902-03) provides drive to 2 cast iron working beams which operate lift and force pumps. (Leaflet available on site. Buchanan and Cossons, The Industrial Archaeology of the Bristol Region, 1969).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.