You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 399986  

Print Page



© Mr David J Lewis LRPS

IoE Number: 399986
Location: REMAINS OF 2 ANNEALING OVENS, KELSTON MILLS (west side)
  KELSTON, BATH AND NORTH EAST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr David J Lewis LRPS
Date Photographed: 18 October 1999
Date listed: 09 January 1976
Date of last amendment: 09 January 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

66 ST NEKELSTONKELSTON MILLS (west side)3/105Remains of 2 Annealing Ovens9.1.76II

66 ST NE KELSTON KELSTON MILLS (west side) 3/105 Remains of 2 Annealing Ovens 9.1.76 II G.V. The remains consist of two chimneys of the annealing ovens, a linking wall and a lean-to building. The brassworks was founded in the 1760's by William Champion of Warmley. The two pylon shaped chimneys are approximately 25' high and are constructed of rubble with ashlar dressings, coping and quoins. Through arches from east to west on Eastern chimney and from north to south on Western chimney; above are tall, narrow openings for the missing balance beams. The Western chimney has a 'V' mark of a former outbuilding on its south side; the Eastern chimney has a single storey lean-to with a double Roman tiled roof on the north side. Between the two chimneys is a linking wall which is pierced by two segmental-headed openings. The Kelston brass works was sold to the Bristol Brass Company in 1769 and it was used to produce batteryware until the 1840's.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.