You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 40056  

Print Page

© Ms Mary Auckland ARPS

IoE Number: 40056
Location: SHEFFIELD LOCK AT SU 648706,
Photographer: Ms Mary Auckland ARPS
Date Photographed: 30 October 1999
Date listed: 06 December 1990
Date of last amendment: 06 December 1990
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following structure shall be added to the list:BURGHFIELDKENNET & AVON CANALSU 67 SW1/2Sheffield Lock at SU 648706

The following structure shall be added to the list: BURGHFIELD KENNET & AVON CANAL SU 67 SW 1/2 Sheffield Lock at SU 648706 - II Lock. Early C18, originally turf-sided, enlarged mid C18, C20 alterations. Brick chamber walls of 11 scalloped bays, with brick coping. 2 sets of double wooden gates, all with mechanical gate paddle gearing. Concrete and brick heelgrip platforms. The Kennet Navigation was established by 1724 and acquired by the Kennet & Avon Canal Co in 1812. John Hore was engineer to the Navigation. John Rennie was engineer to the Canal. Scheduled ancient monument; Berks 195.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.