© Mrs Pamela Weston
ORIGINAL NORTH WEST BUILDING AT HARBOROUGH RUBBER WORKS, 124 ST MARYS ROAD
MARKET HARBOROUGH, HARBOROUGH, LEICESTERSHIRE
Mrs Pamela Weston
26 August 2002
14 March 1991
Date of last amendment:
14 March 1991
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The following building shall be added:-
MARKET HARBOROUGH ST MARY'S ROAD
2/198 No 124 (Original North
West Building at Harborough
Flour mills, now part of rubber factory. Circa 1860, for John
Bland; rubber works since 1894. Polychromatic brickwork; red
brick in Flemish bond with blue and white brick bands and cornice
and white brick window arches. Slate roofs with stone-coped gable
Rectangular on plan, the engine house probably at west end.
3 storeys and attic. 3-bay north front, each bay with 2 round-
headed windows, the bay separated by flat pilaster buttresses with
Lombardic frieze and moulded brick eaves cornice above, of
polychromatic brick. The windows have cast-iron frames with
glazing bars, white brick arches and blue and white brick bands at
impost level across front and moulded brick dentils to cills
between the pilaster buttresses. The band and cill courses
continue to right into 2 bays of one and 2 storeys with similar
windows. Bands in gable ends, the west with cast-iron windows
with glazing bars, the east with loft door and hoist. Later
buildings against rear (south) elevation and 1961 building
attached to east end linking original mill with 1925 rubber works
to east. Situated on north side of the River Wellands.
Interior: Wooden floor beams supported on thin iron columns.
Note: Originally a steam-driven flour mill built for John Bland.
In 1894 became factory of Harborough Rubber Company who made
bicycle pedal blocks and pedal blocks etc for automobiles. The
name 'Dainite' was adodpted during the First World War when the
factory continuously worked through night and day.