You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 402545  

Print Page

© Mrs Pamela Weston

IoE Number: 402545
Photographer: Mrs Pamela Weston
Date Photographed: 01 September 2002
Date listed: 18 December 1992
Date of last amendment: 18 December 1992
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.


MARKET HARBOROUGH CATTLE MARKET SP 73 87 The Settling Rooms 2/10000 II Market building incorporating clock tower, dated 1902, by Coales and Johnson (C & J were architects of Market Harborough listed buildings Hill House (109-113) Lubenham Hill and Robert Smythe School in Burnmill Road) with stone work by Wlliam Allsop. Red brick with limestone free-style dressings and detailing, clay tile roof, stone copings to gable parapets. Double-pile two-storeyed building to left with gable end stack to front range having stone dated in relief 'AD 1902' at base of shafts. Ground floor with 2 tripartite stone mullioned windows with central section having arched transom; first floor with moulded string at cill level, 3 stone mullioned windows of 2, 3 and 3 lights, windows 1 and 3 with classical moulded stone lintels forming the eaves, window 2 has a taller central light extending into central gable pediment. Clock tower to right of 4 stages; stages 1 to 3 of brick, stage 4 of Limestone ashlar. Polygonal clasping angles to stages 2 to 4. Ground stage with lugged stone surround to arched doorway inscribed 'SETTLEMENT ROOMS' in relief above. Stone string course between ground and second stage having waterleaf decoration at angles; second stage with large stone achievement of Earls of Harborough; third stage with tall 2-light mullioned window. Fourth stage with all four sides alike, ashlar with clock face under segmental cornice and having stone strapwork surround, white opaque glass face with copper numerals; stone pineapples to clasping angles; ogee roof of copper surmounted by wind vane with spiked ball finial.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.