You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 402576  

Print Page



© Mr Roy Finch LRPS

IoE Number: 402576
Location: WINSTANLEY HALL, PEMBERTON ROAD (west side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Roy Finch LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 July 2000
Date listed: 23 August 1966
Date of last amendment: 23 August 1966
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEYPEMBERTON ROADSD 50 SW(west side)8/39Winstanley Hall23.8.66

BILLINGE-WITH-WINSTANLEY PEMBERTON ROAD SD 50 SW (west side) 8/39 Winstanley Hall 23.8.66 G.V. II* House. c.1573 with extensions and alterations, 1818-19, by Lewis Wyatt, and extensions of 1840s. Irregular plan, the garden front of 3 storeys, 5 bays with 2-storey, 3-bay 1840's extension to right. 1st and 5th bays project, 2nd and 4th bays form re-entrant blocks. Top cornice and deep parapet. Ground floor has tripartite sashes with glazing bars to 1st and 5th bays. Other windows have ovolo mullions and label moulds. To ground floor, 2nd and 4th bays have windows of 4 lights with transom, 3rd bay has 10-light window with king mullion and transom. 1st floor has 5:3:9:3:5-light windows, lst, 3rd and 5th bays have transoms. 2nd floor has 3-light windows, 2 to 3rd bay. Centre of parapet has armorial bearing and date 1819. Extension has varied fenestration and date 1843. Entrance front to left return, by Lewis Wyatt, of 5 bays with central 4-storey projecting entrance bay. Hollow-chamfered cross- mullion windowds with label moulds, no transoms to 2nd floor windows. Doric porch to entrance has Ionic entablature with pulvinated frieze and parapet; round-headed entrance with paired studded doors. Flat projecting lateral stacks between 1st and 2nd, 4th and 5th bays, with diagonal shafts. Rear has canted end bay, gabled bays and later extensions. Wide gabled bay has armorial bearings and date 1780, at least one Diocletian window. Varied mullioned and sashed windows. Right return has extensions of 1840's and one dated 1889, one canted bay has 1st floor iron balcony, attached to 1889 bays are 2 C17 bays with 2 entrances with architraves and bull's eyes. Interior: Principal rooms have friezes, cornices and fireplaces. Hall has panelling to one end. One room has wall paintings dating from wartime occupation by R.A.F. Stair has iron balusters, Diocletian window and ceiling rose. 1st floor room has C17 panelling and 2 cupboards with strap hinges; Tudor-head doorway. Room in 1840's extension has elaborate Jacobean style panelling with herms and fireplace with Jacobean style grate; room below has panelling and painted glass windows.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.