You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 402577  

Print Page



© Mr Roy Finch LRPS

IoE Number: 402577
Location: BARN AND STABLE TO EAST OF WINSTANLEY HALL AND 2 ATTACHED GATEWAYS, PEMBERTON ROAD (west side)
  WIGAN, WIGAN, GREATER MANCHESTER
Photographer: Mr Roy Finch LRPS
Date Photographed: 12 July 2000
Date listed: 23 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 23 August 1986
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1484/8/40PEMBERTON ROAD23-AUG-86WINSTANLEY

SD 50 SW BILLINGE-WITH WINSTANLEY PEMBERTON ROAD (West side) 1484/8/40 Barn and stable to East of Winstanley Hall and 2 23.08.1986 Attached gateways II* Barn and adjoining stable blocks on 3 sides of courtyard. Barn, C17; stable adjoining and that to south, 1830's; stable to north probably later. Dressed stone with ashlar dressings, north block of rock-faced stone. West block has key inscribed: "MB/1834". 2 storeys, 5 bays, the central bay is taller, projects with bowed end, end bays bowed inwards. Top cornice and parapet. 2nd and 4th bays have round-headed windows of 2 round-headed lights and decorative glazing flanking round- headed entrances with simple fanlights. Other bays have large round-headed entrances. 1st floor has pitching eyes with glazing. Barn adjoins to rear of 7 bays with collar and strut trusses and purlins and cross wall; east entrance is round- headed with flanking weathered buttresses. Southern bay has loft floor on ovolo-moulded beams with'run-out stops and windows with drip stones. 2-storey, 2-bay cottage adjoining north end. Screen wall connects this- block with southern block; round projection has 2-light window with decorative glazing and cornice and parapet with dog; projecting porch with mask over entrance, originally stables behind. South block of 2 storeys and 5 bays, the central bays breaking forward and is taller. Top cornice and parapet. 2nd and 4th bays have 4-light windows, the lights with pointed heads and label moulds; small-paned glazing with intersected heads; central elliptical-headed entrance with 4-light window over. Large elliptical headed entrance with paired doors to 1st bay and 2 to end bays. Entrance, now window, to 1st bay, with architrave with small-paned glazing to overlight. Square pitching holes. Central;bay has clock face and pigeon loft entrances to returns. Interior has iron balusters to stone steps to central bay. Door with relief of horse to central panel. North block of 7 bays with canted ends, the central bay is taller and projects with canted ends. Windows and entrances have canted heads. Windows of 3 and 2 lights, most sashed with glazing bars. Octagonal pitching holes, 2 are square. Top octagonal wheel window to central bay. 2 hexagonal cupolas with Tuscan columns. To right cast iron gates with open work octagonal piers and cupolas, richly decorated, dated 1859; similar gates 2 hexagonal cupolas with Tuscan columns. Iron gates to right connects this block with that to west; 2 open work octagonal piers with caps and richly decorated gates dated 1859. Iron gates to left similar; square piers with remains of lamp standards, central paired gates missing, single gates dated 1875.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.