You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 403228  

Print Page



© Mr John Gateshill

IoE Number: 403228
Location: ALL SAINTS CHURCH, SUDBURY ROAD
  BRADFIELD COMBUST WITH STANNINGFIELD, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr John Gateshill
Date Photographed: 14 August 2002
Date listed: 14 July 1955
Date of last amendment: 27 January 1984
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TL 85 NEBRADFIELD COMBUSTSUDBURY ROAD5/6All Saints Church(Formerly listed as Church14.7.55of All Saints)

TL 85 NE BRADFIELD COMBUST SUDBURY ROAD 5/6 All Saints Church (Formerly listed as Church 14.7.55 of All Saints) GV II* Church, mediaeval, restored 1869. Nave, chancel, south aisle, north vestry, south porch. Flint rubble with freestone dressings; C18 repairs (datestone I.1721.H) with flint rubble and bands of red brick; alterations of 1869 with rounded flints, tile-stitching and brick rubble. Plaintiled roofs. North nave doorway has semi-circular inner arch, possibly Norman. South aisle added c.1300; 2-light hood-moulded south windows, hood-moulded south doorway, hood- moulded double piscina with adjacent dropped window cill seat, lancet west window and diagonal pedimented buttresses. Triple nave arcade, c.1300, has double chamfered arches on octagonal piers, with moulded capitals and bases. Plain chamfered C13 or C14 doorways in north nave and north and south chancel walls. Piscina in chancel late C14, heavily restored c.19. Nave roof rebuilt c.1500, with principal rafters, arch-braced collars and arch-braced tie-beams, moulded cornice, purlins and ridge. 3-light east aisle window inserted early c.16. Open gabled timber-framed south porch added 1861. Alterations c.1869 include: reconstruction of east chancel wall, with 3-light window in mid-c.14 style; west nave wall with elaborate limestone bell-cote on parapet-gable; parapet-gabled vestry; scissor-braced coupled rafter chancel roof; king-post and tie-beam aisle roof. C15 wall-paintings on north nave wall above doorway, with large figures of St. Christopher and of St. George and the Dragon. C12 limestone font with circular shaft and chamfered square bowl with scalloped soffit, some C15 sunk tracery carved on one face. The C19 organ seat is converted from a section of traceried C15 oak screen. Stained glass of c.1850 in most windows; the south chancel window reuses some c.15 glass. A wall tablet in chancel to Arthur Young of Bradfield Hall (d.1759) with apron, crown and flanking scrolls; 5 simple white marble wall tablets in chancel and vestry to members of his family, d.1785-1851.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.